BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here, working on 460 build need advice

3 posters

Go down

New here, working on 460 build need advice Empty New here, working on 460 build need advice

Post  R91488 November 25th 2019, 1:50 am

Hello all! New to this forum, not new to Fords. I recognize some names from my previous experiences on a 460 board. Besides my stock 93 F-350 crew I haven’t done much with the 385 series since early 2000’s. I recently purchased a 59 Tbird to restore and found a 460 to replace the tired original 352. Will post all the parts I acquired and hopefully with a little effort be able to piece a decent motor for this Tbird.
Dove block fresh from the machine shop at standard bore / pistons,
* new *Edelbrock Cam 350-7167 specs:
Performer RPM Camshaft Kit
Lift: .556''/.581''
Duration @ .050: 234°/244°
Advertised Duration: 290°/300°
1500-6500 RPM Range
* new in the box * Trick Flow TFS-5341001 assembled heads.
* new in the box * Comp Cams roller rockers ford 460 17045-16 1.73
Also included all the original DOVE heads, intake, carb etc.
* new in the box *Weiand Stealth 8012

It’s kind of a mishmash of parts but I believe they all can work together. Without having to rework much, will this combo with either a rebuilt street avenger 870 or carb style electric fuel injection work well together? I couldn’t resist the deal.

What I want is a strong street combo.
1. I was told I would have valve to piston clearance issues and so need some direction on standard bore pistons for this combo, using the TFS heads.
2. I was told for a street car this is a fairly obnoxious idling cam, if I am pulling the crank for the pistons I might as well consider a better cam for the project. Suggestions?
3. The intake seems to be not the first choice in intakes, based on the above choices, something matching like the RPM, Torker, TF etc.
Any other suggestions I’m open to, I do not need to squeeze every ounce of HP/torque out of this, just a solid strong combo and will match converter to the build.
Thank you for the help.

R91488

Back to top Go down

New here, working on 460 build need advice Empty Re: New here, working on 460 build need advice

Post  rmcomprandy November 25th 2019, 10:39 am

R91488 wrote:Hello all! New to this forum, not new to Fords. I recognize some names from my previous experiences on a 460 board. Besides my stock 93 F-350 crew I haven’t done much with the 385 series since early 2000’s. I recently purchased a 59 Tbird to restore and found a 460 to replace the tired original 352. Will post all the parts I acquired and hopefully with a little effort be able to piece a decent motor for this Tbird.
Dove block fresh from the machine shop at standard bore / pistons,
* new *Edelbrock Cam 350-7167 specs:
Performer RPM Camshaft Kit
Lift: .556''/.581''
Duration @ .050: 234°/244°
Advertised Duration: 290°/300°
1500-6500 RPM Range
* new in the box * Trick Flow TFS-5341001 assembled heads.
* new in the box * Comp Cams roller rockers ford 460 17045-16 1.73
Also included all the original DOVE heads, intake, carb etc.
* new in the box *Weiand Stealth 8012

It’s kind of a mishmash of parts but I believe they all can work together. Without having to rework much, will this combo with either a rebuilt street avenger 870 or carb style electric fuel injection work well together? I couldn’t resist the deal.

What I want is a strong street combo.
1. I was told I would have valve to piston clearance issues and so need some direction on standard bore pistons for this combo, using the TFS heads.
2. I was told for a street car this is a fairly obnoxious idling cam, if I  am pulling the crank for the pistons I might as well consider a better cam for the project. Suggestions?
3. The intake seems to be not the first choice in intakes, based on the above choices, something matching like the RPM, Torker, TF etc.
Any other suggestions I’m open to, I do not need to squeeze every ounce of HP/torque out of this, just a solid strong combo and will match converter to the build.
Thank you for the help.

That manifold is rather tall if a regular hood is to be used. A "Torquer II" will have the most hood clearance.
The intake notches in the pistons are not "large" enough in diameter for the larger intake valves of those heads however, they will be deep enough; make those notches larger.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

New here, working on 460 build need advice Empty Re: New here, working on 460 build need advice

Post  R91488 November 25th 2019, 4:29 pm

Thank you, I can go with a Torker 2, so do I go to a machine shop to grind the pistons for valve clearance, or is there a specific to? How would I go about this process?

R91488

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 26th 2019, 12:28 am

Since you already have quite a few nice parts, why use the stock cast pistons? Why not bore the block and rebuild the whole thing, and use new modern forged pistons?

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  R91488 November 26th 2019, 9:12 am

That is an option, the machine shop that did the work did not see the reason to bore the cylinders. It came out of a limousine with low miles and no ridges at the top of the cylinders so they cleaned them up, put new rings on, new bearings etc. felt it would be fine. No thought to piston to valve clearance. This is how I purchased the package. I’m just trying to put together a decent solution with what I have.

R91488

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down