BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6

3 posters

Go down

Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6 Empty Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6

Post  rharden June 27th 2019, 11:32 pm

I'm rebuilding a C6 trans out of my 71 Cyclone 429 CJ. It came apart as normal, except for the low reverse clutch piston. It was moving with air pressure, but it would only come out enough for the seals to leak air. I tried pulling it by hand and it was too tight. I pushed it back in and tried the air again, but like before, I couldn't get it out. I did this four times. The fifth time I pushed it in until it bottomed out and now it's stuck. All the air pressure I have won't move it. I even tried my 3000 PSI pressure washer and no luck. I quit for the day and I'll try again tomorrow. I may heat it with my heat gun. Maybe the seals need to be softened. I hate to drill and tap it, but I may have too. I never had this happen. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6 Empty Re: Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6

Post  Gregaust June 28th 2019, 5:13 am

It'll come out . Air only gets it so far out , then you have to work it out the rest of the way ..

Not always easy Rolling Eyes

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6 Empty Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6

Post  rharden June 28th 2019, 1:48 pm

Gregaust wrote:It'll come out . Air only gets it so far out , then you have to work it out the rest of the way ..

Not always easy Rolling Eyes

Thanks Gregaust. I'll keep working at it. It would be nice if it would at least move like it did before. I soaked it with WD-40 and let it sit all night.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6 Empty Re: Stuck low reverse clutch piston in a C6

Post  stanger68 June 28th 2019, 8:53 pm

Did you remove the race for the hub? On the back of the case there are five bolts. Remove them them reach in inside and slide the race out. It should come out after that.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden June 28th 2019, 10:20 pm

stanger68 wrote:Did you remove the race for the hub? On the back of the case there are five bolts. Remove them them reach in inside and slide the race out. It should come out after that.

I removed those five bolts the other day, and the race the bolts hold in place. The piston did move outward with air, but I couldn't remove it by hand. I tried with needle nose vise grips and pulled hard. Nothing. So I forced the piston back in place, aired it again and it would blow out, but I still couldn't pull it. The last time I drove the piston deeper into the case and now it's stuck. Air or my 3000 PSI pressure washer can't get it to move. I didn't play with it today. It's been soaking with WD-40. I'll try tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky!

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden July 1st 2019, 7:46 pm

My problem is over. I ended up using needle nose vise grips and a system of pry bars and a puller in order to remove the piston. Air did not move it until it was almost out. I have no idea why it was hung up. I removed the two rubber seals and the piston drops right in, no rub issues or poor fit. Strange.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down