BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

head stud torque - OE Boss heads

3 posters

Go down

head stud torque - OE Boss heads Empty head stud torque - OE Boss heads

Post  JBR-3 May 24th 2019, 11:01 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on October 17th 2020, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

head stud torque - OE Boss heads Empty Re: head stud torque - OE Boss heads

Post  BOSS 429 May 25th 2019, 8:29 am

since the mid 80s when we started using c9ae oem BOSS heads on stock blocks with any reg ( 1018,1028.1099) gasket we have went to 140 lbs

with the o'ring replacement gaskets that I sell to replace the org 40+ year stuff we go to 120lbs.

-Rich

yes,over thinking
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 May 26th 2019, 12:17 pm

This is the procedure I used on my oem heads with the o-rings. Worked like a charm, no leaks!...........Also note the head bolt torque.

HEAD INSTALL 101: With your Engine on Engine Stand Make sure one Cly. Bank of Block is flat/straight up,Place your completed Boss head (less rockers) upside down on workbench/table near as possible to engine. Take damp lint free rag with acetone/laquer thinner and clean all O-ring receivers in block and heads (no solvent or brake cleaners,as they can mess up o-rings)Install metal O-rings in block(dry) or head (depends on what engine your are running,ie: "S","T",NASCAR)For Cly.Heads: Put a Small amount(paper thin small amount) of "Hydro-Mar" (non hardning blue sealer) on tip of your finger rub a small amount of this sealer on each o-ring receiver in the cly. head.(you are only useing this non hardning sealer only as a glue to temporary hold o-rings in place while installing head)A few years back we did use Permatex "HI-Tack" to hold O-Rings in place while installing with good results also.(Most failures happen when a O-ring is dislodged or falls out upon turning head upside down upon installing it on the block.)Ford grey "OEM" O-Rings are known for "snaping" in place better because of the great built in metal ring in center. After being sure ALL O-Rings are IN PLACE,Then take a tube of regular (we use VALCO silver) silicone and a run pencil wide (1/4 inch) bead all along top of your block (manifold lip front,along top of deck,to rear manifold lip)l______l Then, YELL!!!!!!! for your CO-Worker,freind,Wife,Girlfreind,Son,etc..TO COME HELP YOU!!!! Pick up head,turn it over, holding it high above Block cly, bank. Ask your helper to look to make SURE all o-rings are still in place,(have them count them for you) As you lower your head to block have your helper keep looking for drop-outs all the way down to block contact. Try to hit your DOWELS first(Exaust side low) without moving head around trying to find the dowels.(BAD).After head is on Deck install all your pre-cleaned Head bolts,with washers,with SAE 30 Motor OIl,on threads and washer areas. (no moly,no sealers,the bolt holes are blind)Torque all evenly to 30lbs,and Stop.(A little known Secert) You would already have two (per side,four total) .015" thick "paper clip" sized shim stock cut and ready to install in the lower left hand and lower right hand corners. Slide these shims in now,being careful not to install too far,and pushing on the corner O-Rings. (part of these shims will hang out)Any members here know why these are installed? Starting at 30Lbs,50Lb's,70lbs.90lbs,105lb's and again @105lbs..(I have seen so many Boss Heads Cracked at the Bolt holes because of the mistake of torquing @ 140lbs,as in the Cast Iron 429 Specs.)One side done!!!!! You then can do the other side.....If you follow these simple steps you will not have to lose sleep wondering about your 850.00 dollar Head Gasket Kit. and It will be sealed for many years to come. One other Thing:Dont EVER USE DEX COOL coolant,or anything RED,or Orange (AntiFreeze) in your Boss 429 cooling system.(RedLine's red waterwetter is fine)Always use the (old "green Prestone type only) I know it can sometimes be hard on the water pumps seals because it has "silica" in it, but a small price to pay compared to the Damage "DEX-Cool" can cause to your Engine.(HEADS)I know this post is long but I hope it

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 May 26th 2019, 2:24 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on October 17th 2020, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 May 26th 2019, 3:23 pm

I dont take any credit for the write up. It was written by one of the members on a Boss Mustang forum.

Good luck with your Boss project!

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 May 26th 2019, 7:44 pm

JBR-3 wrote:rmk57,
A big thanks for that write up !
I've had the pleasure in the past of helping a friend install his heads. It was almost enough to convince
me not to mess with Boss 9 stuff.
I know that using the Cooper rings concentrates the sealing force in a smaller area, requiring less
head bolt torque.
The heads I'm working with now have had all the O-ring grooves and all the cooling recesses welded up.
I need to decide which head gasket to use, some have an integral "sealing wire" (not sure if ALL gaskets
have this) which works great but can evidently brinell aluminum.

Rich W.  ---  So you have had no problems torquing to 140 lb-ft ? Was that bolts or studs ?

correct, with a flat 1028 or 1099 etc etc 130 to 140 , been doing them like that since My first BOSS 429 eng. with the o'rings 120.

biggest thing that cracks the stock heads( around ehx head bolt) is spring presser , and yes, with both arp studs,or stock bolts, just did another last week.

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down