BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New BBF build advise

4 posters

Go down

New BBF build advise Empty New BBF build advise

Post  jumbo7700 April 26th 2019, 4:38 pm

Guys,
I have a 466ci motor I’ve been running for a while now. I burnt a piston, I am pretty sure my fuel pump failed me during a pass at the drag strip.
Now it is time to build a new motor. I’ve got a good set of Kaase SCJ heads that a Victor 460 (4150) intake. I think I want to build a good bracket motor. I’m thinking about ordering a stroker kit right off the shelf. My only concern is my heads have been milled down.045, I’m not sure if this is enough to create a piston to valve issue.
What is your thoughts….
Thanks

jumbo7700

Back to top Go down

New BBF build advise Empty Re: New BBF build advise

Post  rmcomprandy April 26th 2019, 5:29 pm

jumbo7700 wrote:Guys,
I have a 466ci motor I’ve been running for a while now. I burnt a piston, I am pretty sure my fuel pump failed me during a pass at the drag strip.
Now it is time to build a new motor. I’ve got a good set of Kaase SCJ heads that a Victor 460 (4150) intake. I think I want to build a good bracket motor. I’m thinking about ordering a stroker kit right off the shelf. My only concern is my heads have been milled down.045, I’m not sure if this is enough to create a piston to valve issue.
What is your thoughts….
Thanks

It depends greatly upon the camshaft but, stroker pistons usually have deeper than necessary notches so they clear almost everything except all out race stuff.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jumbo7700 April 26th 2019, 5:37 pm

I would like to run a nice size solid roller. Nothing crazy. I not looking at the biggest and best. I am leaning more to the simple and low maintenance side of the spectrum.

jumbo7700

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 26th 2019, 6:08 pm

jumbo7700 wrote:I would like to run a nice size solid roller. Nothing crazy. I not looking at the biggest and best. I am leaning more to the simple and low maintenance side of the spectrum.

Solid roller valve train and LOW maintenance don't belong in the same sentence.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc April 29th 2019, 5:43 am

You were going to check piston to valve clearance weren't you ? As long as you check your piston to valve clearance your milled heads shouldn't be an issue . Someone will correct me if I am wrong but ..090-.100 is what you want to see .When I built my afr headed 466 After I had my pistons cut for valve reliefs I had .100 clearance.And for low maintenance you cant beat a solid flat tappet cam shaft .RM who responded to your posting could have a cam ground for you .He did one for me and I am happy with it .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jumbo7700 April 29th 2019, 9:05 am

Yes. I will check and double check all clearness including valve to the piston. Better to be safe than sorry. I ran a solid flat tappet for the last few years. I had no issues with it.

jumbo7700

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 29th 2019, 11:14 pm

jumbo7700 wrote:Yes. I will check and double check all clearness including valve to the piston. Better to be safe than sorry. I ran a solid flat tappet for the last few years. I had no issues with it.

Solid Roller Cam is going to need more spring pressure than a Solid Flat Tappet cam and I think that's what Randy was talking about!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down