BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EFI Vapor-lock

+4
rmcomprandy
Doug Rahn
BOSS 429
riverlane
8 posters

Go down

EFI Vapor-lock Empty EFI Vapor-lock

Post  riverlane February 18th 2019, 11:04 pm

Yes I know it cant happen.
I have a 89 f350 460 fuel injected. Starts perfect, absolute power house, runs like a champ until it gets warm at which point it losses power chugs then dies ( runs out of gas). When the weather is hot I can make it about 12 miles in the winter double that. I know that I have high pressure after the hp pump (a face full of fuel verified this) but at the rail I get a few drops of fuel and air then nothing. after a cool down period ( typically enough time to call a friend and tow it home) it fires up like nothing ever happened.

I have replaced both in tank pumps complete assemblies as well as the high pressure pump, filter, pressure regulator, wrapped the fuel lines, none of which has made a difference. I love this truck and have had it sitting for a couple of years just starting every month because it cant be trusted to drive. its now time to figure it out or make room in the shop. any help would be greatly appreciated.

riverlane

Back to top Go down

EFI Vapor-lock Empty Re: EFI Vapor-lock

Post  BOSS 429 February 19th 2019, 12:55 am

pickup in dist, or bad fuel pump is what id be looking at
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 19th 2019, 12:56 am

pickup in dist, or bad fuel pump is what id be looking at
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 19th 2019, 9:24 am

Since you have done all that work on the fuel system, I would have to agree with Boss429. I had that same problem on my '90 Mustang years ago, it turned out to be the ignition control module.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 19th 2019, 10:20 am

This may not be the problem but. something as simple as a vented gas cap where the vent is stopped-up can cause this.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 19th 2019, 11:58 am

I chased this same situation on our 7.5L swapped dentside and never found a solution. It would run great when the temp was moderate, but once the weather turned hot, it would run fine for a few miles then begin to sputter and die. Poke the schrader valve and it was always just spitting vapor. Let it cool down for a while and it would run a little longer. I always just thought it was the result of our particular fuel system adaptation.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  procharger 528 February 19th 2019, 2:12 pm

i had a dodge ram that use to do the same thing...
i did pretty much all the same things you have done..a friend of mine suggested getting the injectors cleaned i did that and it never missed a beat again...
the conclusion was the injector guy came up with was the ecu was detecting the engine was running lean when it was hot and shutting down the engine...anyway it fixed my truck...
procharger 528
procharger 528

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice February 20th 2019, 5:57 am

Interesting conclusion on the injectors. Quite honestly makes sense. I was leaning torward the distributor guts or vented cap as suggested above as well.

Glad to see some good honest discussion and attempted problem solving here. One of the things that made this forum what it is. Knowledge at its finest.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  riverlane February 20th 2019, 3:53 pm

Folks I want to thank you all for your ideas. Could someone expand on boss429,s idea that it is the pickup in the dist. I know it controls the spark and it makes sense that it would have a hand in timing the injector pulse but how would it affect the rail pressure?

riverlane

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 20th 2019, 8:13 pm

riverlane wrote:Folks I want to thank you all for your ideas.  Could someone expand on boss429,s idea that it is the pickup in the dist.  I know it controls the spark and it makes sense that it would have a hand in timing the injector pulse but how would it affect the rail pressure?

It wouldn't effect the rail pressure but it is a common part to fail that would give similar issues that you are experiencing.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice February 20th 2019, 8:24 pm

Module gets heat soaked and breaks down causing very similar symptoms almost the same temperament that you are describing. Would not effect fuel pressure however.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  riverlane February 28th 2019, 8:45 pm

thank guys very much for the input. if I get her running I will be sure post the final solution..

riverlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down