BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone run this set up before?

+15
gt350hr
JBR-3
norm
BOSS 429
bigford632
jbozzelle
johndickjr
stanger68
HorsinAround
cool40
IDT-572
Mark Miller
rmcomprandy
BBFTorino
whitefield
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anyone run this set up before? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone run this set up before?

Post  BBFTorino December 24th 2018, 12:01 am

At that RPM, I would'nt even be thinking about steel rods!!...Aluminum or Titanium rods only!! (unless someone makes custom carbon fiber rods!! Very Happy )

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Anyone run this set up before? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone run this set up before?

Post  rmcomprandy December 24th 2018, 10:48 am

BBFTorino wrote:At that RPM, I would'nt even be thinking about steel rods!!...Aluminum or Titanium rods only!! (unless someone makes custom carbon fiber rods!! Very Happy )

Just to be informative ... NHRA Pro Stock engines run above that RPM for almost for the entire run using steel connecting rods mainly because detonation is not an issue.
If the engine is to be run with other than near optimum tune then aluminum rods may be warranted.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 24th 2018, 8:39 pm

Pro stock runs short deck blocks and shorter rods. All the parts are light and very best money can buy.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 24th 2018, 11:51 pm

We have a couple steel rod 550ci eng's that run 8500 to 9000, but I would rather use a alum rod
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 25th 2018, 1:25 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:At that RPM, I would'nt even be thinking about steel rods!!...Aluminum or Titanium rods only!! (unless someone makes custom carbon fiber rods!! Very Happy )

Just to be informative ... NHRA Pro Stock engines run above that RPM for almost for the entire run using steel connecting rods mainly because detonation is not an issue.
If the engine is to be run with other than near optimum tune then aluminum rods may be warranted.

Is'nt Pro Stock all nothing but LS based Chevy's now?? Back when big block Fords were in it, they were using a pretty short strokes...less than 3.5" I believe. There may have been some running a steel rod, but I seen many more with aluminum rods.
Of course their rod angles were not very extreme, running 7" rods or longer made the engines very "peaky" at the high RPM's.
With the current LS Chevy stuff, I'm not sure what they have going on inside their engines, because it's so boring!! LoL

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  norm December 25th 2018, 10:09 am

Do you really think they are LS based or are you kidding?
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 25th 2018, 12:58 pm

Is'nt Pro Stock all nothing but LS based Chevy's now?? Back when big block Fords were in it, they were using a pretty short strokes...less than 3.5" I believe. There may have been some running a steel rod, but I seen many more with aluminum rods.
Of course their rod angles were not very extreme, running 7" rods or longer made the engines very "peaky" at the high RPM's.
With the current LS Chevy stuff, I'm not sure what they have going on inside their engines, because it's so boring!! LoL[/quote]

LOL LOL
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 25th 2018, 1:42 pm

BBFTorino wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

With the current LS Chevy stuff, I'm not sure what they have going on inside their engines, because it's so boring!! LoL

None of the above is true.
Just a few years ago, 500 inch Pro Stock engines are DRCE3  or DRCE4 Olds based with near a 9.00" deck with most using 6.00" long steel rods having a bore of 4.650" and a stroke of 3.680".  That combination went over 11,000 RPM then NHRA limited the upper RPM limit a lot lower; 10,000 I believe. It has been 4 years since I have been inside one of those, their last year of carburetors.

Today ... other than the intake system, I don't think there is a lot of change.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on December 25th 2018, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 December 25th 2018, 1:52 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on October 17th 2020, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 25th 2018, 1:58 pm

JBR-3 wrote:I suspect the GM ProStock engine is so unique that it only has two things in common
even with the conventional BBC, that might be the main bearing size and the belhousing bolt pattern.
But even those two might be different now.

You are probably correct, (the main bearings were small block Chevy size though) but, that doesn't change what actually was, for a time.

Except for the heads, the Dodge hemi was almost the same.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 25th 2018, 3:09 pm

norm wrote:Do you really think they are LS based or are you kidding?
Well, I seen a very very well funded team was doing some testing with LS based engines that had canted valve heads. If one goes to it, and is competitive, they'll all go it.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr December 27th 2018, 2:16 pm

BBFTorino wrote:
Well, I seen a very very well funded team was doing some testing with LS based engines that had canted valve heads. If one goes to it, and is competitive, they'll all go it.

ANY engine to be used HAS to get NHRA approval FIRST . Those morons have already made the GM big block the only class legal engine regardless of car make. No wonder fans leave the grandstands after the nitro cars run then come back for Pro Mod!

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 27th 2018, 3:22 pm

gt350hr wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:

ANY engine  to be used HAS to get NHRA approval FIRST . Those morons have already made the GM big block the only class legal engine regardless of car make. No wonder fans leave the grandstands after the nitro cars run then come back for Pro Mod!

The Mopar hemi is legal as well as the Ford Pro Stock part numbered stuff ... just not enough people have developed or can be competitive with the rules limits placed upon them.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 27th 2018, 5:11 pm

The Mopar hemi is legal as well as the Ford Pro Stock part numbered stuff ... just not enough people have developed or can be competitive with the rules limits placed upon them.[/quote]

only the JC stuff and the E are now legal, which are not really good enough.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 27th 2018, 5:52 pm

There are internal rumors that the GM big block may come to an end, and that NHRA may want to move the PS powertrains into a "modern" era....AKA LS based engines.
They already embraced EFI, so the trend seems legit.
If that happens, will they allow the MOPAR Gen III Hemi??
I don't see NHRA allowing the Ford Modular/Coyote platform though, because of its OHC design. So Ford would effectively be forced out of the game....unless it runs a GM or MOPAR engine.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 27th 2018, 7:40 pm

BBFTorino wrote:There are internal rumors that the GM big block may come to an end, and that NHRA may want to move the PS powertrains into a "modern" era....AKA LS based engines.
They already embraced EFI, so the trend seems legit.
If that happens, will they allow the MOPAR Gen III Hemi??
I don't see NHRA allowing the Ford Modular/Coyote platform though, because of its OHC design. So Ford would effectively be forced out of the game....unless it runs a GM or MOPAR engine.

Is Ford Going the Pushrod Route With Its New V8?
by Steph Willems on May 30, 2018
SHARE COMMENTS

Ford’s upcoming heavy-duty gasoline truck engine, codenamed “7X,” was believed to be a 7.0-liter V8 built with the express purpose of replacing the 6.8-liter Triton V10 and perhaps the 6.2-liter Boss V8.

While the program will indeed bear fruit at Ford’s Windsor Engine Plant next year, there’s a new report claiming the mill’s layout should stir memories of famous engines of yore. We’re talking a large displacement (7.3 liters), iron block, and pushrod valve actuation.

An administrator at the SVTPerformance.com forum, citing internal sources, claims the upcoming V8 is an overhead valve design displacing 7.3 liters. The mill is just one of a series of engines expected to be spawned from a large dumping of OEM (and government) cash.

Ford’s Windsor engine plant, once home to the famous and beloved 255 Windsor (har, har), was in dire need of new product before the funding announcement. The old SOHC 6.8-liter, unceremoniously relegated to the E-Series cutaway, larger commercial trucks, and motorhomes, was on its last legs.

We’ve heard rumblings about a new 7.3-liter before. Earlier this year, a 2020 model year oil requirement document made the rounds on Ford forums, revealing a 7.3-liter gas engine and a disappeared 6.2-liter.

Scrapping overhead cams in favor of pushrods would create an engine with a smaller footprint, potentially widening the list of applications. Ford could save weight by utilizing a compacted graphite iron block, like that seen on the 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel V8. There’s cash savings to be had by going the standard iron route.

We don’t have any specs for the alleged 7.3-liter, but power figures would obviously need to surpass the output of both the 6.2-liter and 6.8-liter. The largest gas V8 in the Ford stable makes a maximum of 385 hp and 430 lb-ft, while the V10 tops out at 320 hp and 460 lb-ft. Again, there could be a range of displacements coming from Windsor. While a 7.0-liter is the go-to speculation, there’s also wind of a project dubbed “Godzilla.” Maybe they’re one and the same.

Time will tell what Ford brings us. Parts are expected to begin flowing into a retooled Windsor Engine in November.

a version of this article first appeared on thetruthaboutcars.co

Link: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/2018/05/30/ford-going-pushrod-route-new-v8/
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 27th 2018, 8:13 pm

It is 7.3L with cam in the block. V10 is for sure gone. No word yet on the 6.2L engine.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 28th 2018, 2:10 am

Lem Evans wrote:It is 7.3L with cam in the block. V10 is for sure gone. No word yet on the 6.2L engine.

House is built... Need to talk about that Crown Vic cam that revs to eleventy three thousand... Twisted Evil
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain December 29th 2018, 11:48 am

I think that's sort of lame. I can't believe that Ford didn't give the 6.2 OHC V8 more development those engines have a nice looking cylinder head design. Maybe they are going this route to make cylinder deactivation easier to implement. That stuff has been pretty trouble prone on the GM and Chrysler engines with that feature.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 29th 2018, 1:50 pm

A major problem you’re going to run into is cams that are big enough to run that kind of rpm are going to have horrible manners on the street chugging along under 4000 rpm
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 3rd 2019, 12:05 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

Randy any idea what brand and style Steel Connecting rods the Pro Stock engines run?Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 3rd 2019, 10:53 am

Mark Miller wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Randy any idea what brand and style Steel Connecting rods the Pro Stock engines run?Thanks

The engines I have seen apart had Lentz I-beam style rods in them but, I am sure other brands are used as well.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 3rd 2019, 12:30 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

The engines I have seen apart had Lentz I-beam style rods in them but, I am sure other brands are used as well.

Carrillo/Pankl would be on the list also.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 4th 2019, 12:02 am

Randy and Lem thanks for the Pro Stock engines rod information!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum