BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piston replacement without balanceing

+2
68galaxie
litshoot
6 posters

Go down

Piston replacement without balanceing Empty Piston replacement without balanceing

Post  litshoot November 8th 2018, 5:19 pm

Hello, so I have a 73 460 and was wondering if anyone know of a way to replace pistons and rods with oversized(4.40 dished pistons and rods without needing to have the crank rebalance. Does a company offer a package or something. If balancing would it most likely need to lighten the crank or add weight to it. Thanks

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Piston replacement without balanceing Empty Re: Piston replacement without balanceing

Post  68galaxie November 8th 2018, 6:25 pm

You are replacing the rods as well as pistons?
What rods are you replacing the factory rods with?
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Piston replacement without balanceing Empty Re: Piston replacement without balanceing

Post  litshoot November 8th 2018, 6:39 pm

That is the question, im wondering if their is a piston and rod combo I can use with a stock crank without the need to rebalance. the machine shop I am using doesn't do balancing, and im not wanting to ship a crank if possible, then it might be better off going forged assembly for one time cost.

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 8th 2018, 8:56 pm

There are rotating assemblies being sold out there with cast steel / nodular crankshafts which work very well.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mach1charlie November 9th 2018, 11:38 am

Stroke it,same price.

mach1charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot November 9th 2018, 11:40 am

mach1charlie wrote:Stroke it,same price.

that was my thought, if I could use stock crank for under a thousand, it was worth it. otherwise a forged setup is around 2000 and be one and done.

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 9th 2018, 12:09 pm

It would be extremely rare to be able to do what you want. The pistons and rods would have to weigh the same as the old parts. Not only in "total" but all of the "big ends" would also have to be the same as well as the upper half of the rods besides the pistons pins and rings. You have a better chance by only changing pistons and rings . It is important to remember that larger diameter parts are usually heavier. Look at one of the cast steel cranks if you have a tight budget .

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 November 9th 2018, 1:23 pm

With just boring and piston swap I think you’d be fine for a hot street motor. Done that several times back in the day with no issues. The one time I did send one to be balanced for a .030 over piston swap they didn’t do anything to the crank just rubbed on the rods a little to make them all the same.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 November 9th 2018, 1:25 pm

Also, balance job around here is typically less than $200. Unless you need heavy metal which I doubt you would.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot November 9th 2018, 1:55 pm

Its for a mild setup with an 8-71 blower on top. im not looking for high rpm or max effort, but I don't want stock rods to break and smack the aluminum heads or a cast piston to shatter and take out the head.
Also my local machine shop doesn't balance so he outsources and upcharges, and 3 other machine shops I called and emailed didn't feel it worth the effort to respond.
Seth

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down