BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 7 liter engine from Ford...???

+22
rmcomprandy
lance flake
stanger68
wayney
68formalGT
SLord82
Doug Rahn
IDT-572
SandHillsHillbilly
torino501
John Myrick
BigBlockRanger
Carl
5pointslow
HorsinAround
Mark Miller
83-88T-Bird Guy
Lem Evans
DanE
jasonf
BBFTorino
jbozzelle
26 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 Empty Re: New 7 liter engine from Ford...???

Post  HorsinAround August 2nd 2019, 9:29 am

Yea, I felt the same way. what a let down... Still waiting to see what the tow specs will be for the F250 and 350. I was hoping to buy a new superduty with the 7.3 gas, but unless the tow ratings surprise me, I'll probably just pick up a used one with a 6.7.

The positive is with its design. It should be able to make huge power with aftermarket parts.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 Empty Re: New 7 liter engine from Ford...???

Post  BigBlockRanger August 2nd 2019, 4:40 pm

I would LOVE to see what it makes with just a camshaft change....
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick August 2nd 2019, 5:36 pm

SLord82 wrote:430hp 475lbft meh. Feels like a big let down. I guess its just enough to be "best in class".

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28578854/ford-7-3-liter-v-8-trucks/

Wonder how long before a supercharger is available !!!
That should wake it up
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 3rd 2019, 9:25 pm

Availability is going to be the biggest problem for the hotrodders. The ls motors are in practically everything GM makes (in some form or another) so they were readily available years later. Making a SD only engine is going to cut that supply drastically I think. I have only seen a handful of SD trucks in our local Pull a part and they are usually stripped when they get there. You head over to the GM rows and there are LS motors everywhere.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 4th 2019, 2:21 pm

jasonf wrote:Availability is going to be the biggest problem for the hotrodders. The ls motors are in practically everything GM makes (in some form or another) so they were readily available years later. Making a SD only engine is going to cut that supply drastically I think. I have only seen a handful of SD trucks in our local Pull a part and they are usually stripped when they get there. You head over to the GM rows and there are LS motors everywhere.

Your are right, but if Ford is smart, they will make it available to the aftermarket like MOPAR has done.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney August 4th 2019, 6:13 pm

I was hoping for 500+ ft lbs in factory form and I would imagine with a tune and exhaust it will be there BUT looking at the torque curve and hooked to a 10 speed it should be a good tow vehicle for what I do. 400+ ft lbs from 1500 to 5500 I like. It is not a diesel but it is also not boosted or come with the expense either.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 August 5th 2019, 8:56 am

I’m guessing fuel mileage is pretty crappy. Which will put this engine to bed pretty quick.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 5th 2019, 8:12 pm

stanger68 wrote:I’m guessing fuel mileage is pretty crappy. Which will put this engine to bed pretty quick.

I believe I saw a statement that it will be better then the v10 and I THINK I saw where it might be better then the 6.2
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 August 5th 2019, 10:49 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
stanger68 wrote:I’m guessing fuel mileage is pretty crappy. Which will put this engine to bed pretty quick.

I believe I saw a statement that it will be better then the v10 and I THINK I saw where it might be better then the 6.2

Not being a smartass but that doesn’t tell me much. My old 5.4 was only 13 around town. If you really worked for it on a long trip it would do 16. I just recently bought a 6.7 diesel and it so far is way better. I’ve been averaging 17 around town. Haven’t had it long enough to take a long trip to see what it will really do.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney August 6th 2019, 10:01 pm

but for the cost of the diesel option the first 50000 miles of gas is free . not counting that diesel is more expensive and the maintenance cost more.

wayne

stanger68 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

Not being a smartass but that doesn’t tell me much. My old 5.4 was only 13 around town. If you really worked for it on a long trip it would do 16. I just recently bought a 6.7 diesel and it so far is way better. I’ve been averaging 17 around town. Haven’t had it long enough to take a long trip to see what it will really do.

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 15th 2019, 12:19 pm

Not surprisingly Evan J Smith is building a foxbody with the new 7.3l. For those that don't know Evan has been at Muscle Mustang& Fast Fords magazine for ever and has written some of the articles about the new 7.3l specs.

https://www.facebook.com/evan.smith.9440?__tn__=%2CdlCH-R-R&eid=ARCZctdTs4cKF75cq06saGVxDY8NAq04iXyQOzwcTezX9uUGfabDa-469ErIgj1zNGzM40t4d1nEe923&hc_ref=ARTqQXR58KDwU-bhaBEFfegGFJkMnYAEfTYqye5DApyUzDxagMX8TlIYxILcuz1KG68&hc_location=group

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 EifLDsr

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 95jcUCA

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 PwOtIPC

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 SXcQHbs

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 ASMdBXA
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly August 15th 2019, 1:07 pm

jasonf wrote:Not surprisingly Evan J Smith is building a foxbody with the new 7.3l.  For those that don't know Evan has been at Muscle Mustang& Fast Fords magazine for ever and has written some of the articles about the new 7.3l specs.

https://www.facebook.com/evan.smith.9440?__tn__=%2CdlCH-R-R&eid=ARCZctdTs4cKF75cq06saGVxDY8NAq04iXyQOzwcTezX9uUGfabDa-469ErIgj1zNGzM40t4d1nEe923&hc_ref=ARTqQXR58KDwU-bhaBEFfegGFJkMnYAEfTYqye5DApyUzDxagMX8TlIYxILcuz1KG68&hc_location=group

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 EifLDsr

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 95jcUCA

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 PwOtIPC

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 SXcQHbs

New 7 liter engine from Ford...??? - Page 4 ASMdBXA

Very interesting!! I guess with connection like that he gets a nice mock up to build from. Looks like he is planning a turbo. Would be nice is see a nice build with a Whipple 5 or 8.3 liter. Either one offers a standard roots based pattern with axial or top inlet. If you have ever been around a screw blower you would appreciate the boost.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 August 15th 2019, 1:48 pm

wayney wrote:but for the cost of the diesel option the first 50000 miles of gas is free . not counting that diesel is more expensive and the maintenance cost more.

wayne

stanger68 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

Not if your towing a load. You’ll be in the single digits with gas. You’ll wish you had paid the extra $50 a month for that diesel when you’re shopping at every exit to buy gas. Do the math. 13 mpg gas is the same as 16 mpg diesel at current fuel prices. And that’s just inner city commuting. Weight doesn’t impact mileage as bad with diesel when pulling a load. Not only that, when you’re not pulling a load you’ll get 20+ mpg on the interstate traveling. It’s a no brainer to me. Gas engines belong in light duty trucks.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake August 15th 2019, 2:45 pm

stanger68 wrote:
wayney wrote:but for the cost of the diesel option the first 50000 miles of gas is free . not counting that diesel is more expensive and the maintenance cost more.

wayne

stanger68 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

Not if your towing a load. You’ll be in the single digits with gas. You’ll wish you had paid the extra $50 a month for that diesel when you’re shopping at every exit to buy gas. Do the math. 13 mpg gas is the same as 16 mpg diesel at current fuel prices. And that’s just inner city commuting. Weight doesn’t impact mileage as bad with diesel when pulling a load. Not only that, when you’re not pulling a load you’ll get 20+ mpg on the interstate traveling. It’s a no brainer to me. Gas engines belong in light duty trucks.

I have not seen a new (3/4 and 1 ton) diesel truck ford or dodge that will get anywhere near 20 mpg. Most I have seen and heard from people who own them is about 15-16 empty and the one's I seen in the dealership that carried a big load were around 10-11 mpg

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly August 15th 2019, 3:09 pm

lance flake wrote:
stanger68 wrote:

wayne

stanger68 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

I have not seen a new (3/4 and 1 ton) diesel truck ford or dodge that will get anywhere near 20 mpg. Most I have seen and heard from people who own them is about 15-16 empty and the one's I seen in the dealership that carried a big load were around 10-11 mpg

I have a customer that recently purchased a 3/4 ton truck to daily drive in his construction business. He dropped down from a crew cab dually because daily fuel cost were eating him alive. He and 3 members of his family took the new truck from South Carolina to Orlando for a vacation. He was astonished by the highway mileage not towing and constant 80 mph cruise. He claims 20 mpg. I have no reason to doubt the guy as he is a numbers man and if he had gotten anything different he would be cussing his investment.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 15th 2019, 6:12 pm

lance flake wrote:

My 2017 F250 crew cab FX4 gets 15-16 mpg. I can get 20 when I am coasting down a hill maybe. My average economy is around 14-15 including city driving. I have not towed with it yet. It has 45000 miles and has not changed since day one and I drive 75-80+ during my 800 mile commute to work several times a month.

If you are pulling every day then a diesel is a no brainer but if you use it to go 30 miles to your local track or to the bash once a year a gas can be just fine. It all depends on need. My old 7.3 got 20 empty but you load that up with a 35' enclosed trailer and it was around 10-11.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy December 9th 2019, 10:35 pm

7.3 gasser Starting to show up on dealer lots now.

Good stuff @ 14:20 mark
430 hp...475 ft. lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VitaZVUdVdU&feature=emb_title
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 10th 2019, 12:32 am

BigBlockRanger wrote:I'll take one in a fox body plz. Smile

You may get that option ...
Ford Performance Parts is working on offering a crate motor with a trans and programmable ECM.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 10th 2019, 2:53 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

Ford Performance Parts is working on offering a crate motor with a trans and programmable ECM.

cheers
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy December 10th 2019, 4:06 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

I hope so.

Would be nice if it's a full crate engine and ecu, wiring harness, etc. for under 10K.
Would also be nice if the 7.3 has the same bellhousing pattern as the modular family
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger December 11th 2019, 3:00 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

Very tempting for my 03GT!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney December 11th 2019, 9:26 pm

should be a cool hot rod engine. wish I could get my hands on one . I could run it off an aftermarket EFI like fast xfi. add 2 turbos. it would be cool in the elephant with a 6r80 behind it.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 December 17th 2019, 3:24 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

Any idea what trans they are planning to offer? I'm guessing the new 10 speed auto?

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy December 22nd 2019, 4:10 pm

I was in error about the trucks being delivered.
All the 7.3 Super Duty trucks are on hold.

It seems that pre-production 7.3 engines ran fine.
However, the production engines did not get so lucky.
The production ones are suffering catastrophic valve guide destruction.
The oil pans are filled with "glitter" from the deteriorated valve guides, which in effect means it is all throughout the engine.

Word has it all the SD models sitting in various lots throughout the L-Ville and Southern Indiana area are awaiting engine swaps. They are pulling the engine and trans at the same time, swapping engines and re-install.
I would venture to say Ford will crush all the engines with the bad guides.

This is sad news Crying or Very sad
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 December 24th 2019, 8:33 am

Well.... I tell ya for ONCE Ford is doing the right thing. I surprised they didn’t ship them to the dealers and put a stop delivery hold on them. And make the techs install heads on them under warranty. We had oil pressure issues on the new 2017 6.7L. There was a stop delivery hold recall. We checked oil press if it didn’t pass. We had to put front engine covers in the . Y’all about taking it in the ass!!!!

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next