BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Power and a new best ET

+5
jasonf
J.Toney
dfree383
Mark Miller
BigRigTech
9 posters

Go down

More Power and a new best ET Empty More Power and a new best ET

Post  BigRigTech May 29th 2018, 11:16 pm

So I decided it was time to freshen up the bottom end of my 472 and I figured it was a good time to try a different cam grind. From day one Blake -aka - IDT-572 said there was power left on the table with the first custom cam I bought so I decided to give him a shot this time around....He put his money where his mouth was to the tune of a 67HP gain from a SFT cam swap only. Nothing but the cam was changed in the combo. It made 560/560 last time, this time it made 627hp/536 on a dyno known to be the "room that crushes dreams"...LOL....This place gives you real numbers - it's not a "happy customer" dyno. Last weekend I took the car to the track for the first time and reset my best ET at 9.83 at 137. 3140lbs on a 275 drag radial with a brand new pair of DA Afco's from Menscer's. I know there is 9.70's in her with good air too. Cool It's spot on to what the slide rule says it should go. Very happy with the whole deal, glad I bought the new cam from Mr Cartwright. Very Happy
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

More Power and a new best ET Empty Re: More Power and a new best ET

Post  Mark Miller May 30th 2018, 12:17 am

Very nice run and nice horsepower gain from the new cam!!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 30th 2018, 9:52 am

Next Round put some compression to it and a Roller
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney May 30th 2018, 2:06 pm

Nice gains! Where was/is the power curve?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf May 30th 2018, 3:21 pm

Nice job. That Blake character does seem to know a thing or two about making Ford power. Wink
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 30th 2018, 10:03 pm

dfree383 wrote:Next Round put some compression to it and a Roller

If I went that route it wouldn't be with these heads...They had 2 repairs when I got them from you and I've had to fix them again myself just running the SFT spring pressures. As for the compression - that requires race fuel which is super spendy in Canada so I'll pass on that stuff. I'm happy with the car the way it is, the only thing left I'd like to do is put some light aftermarket front brakes on it. I have Wilwood discs on the rear.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 30th 2018, 10:12 pm

J.Toney wrote:Nice gains!  Where was/is the power curve?

Peak torque was around 5000rpm, peak HP was at 6500.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 31st 2018, 12:37 am

BigRigTech wrote:........................ that requires race fuel which is super spendy in Canada.........................

How spendy? Damn near $15/gallon down here for VP C12.......

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf May 31st 2018, 9:42 am

jbozzelle wrote:
BigRigTech wrote:........................ that requires race fuel which is super spendy in Canada.........................

How spendy?  Damn near $15/gallon down here for VP C12.......

I don't know about Nova Scotia but here is from a place in Manitoba. Hell gasoline is around $5/gal.

> VP Race Fuel>C12
New C12 View larger
Send to a friend
Print
C12
IN-STORE PICK UP ONLY

Type: Leaded
Motor Octane: 108
Container: 19Liter/5 US Gallon steel pails

Please see " More Info" section below
$ 132.95
Quantity

Add to cart

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 31st 2018, 10:19 am

BigRigTech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Next Round put some compression to it and a Roller

If I went that route it wouldn't be with these heads...They had 2 repairs when I got them from you and I've had to fix them again myself just running the SFT spring pressures. As for the compression - that requires race fuel which is super spendy in Canada so I'll pass on that stuff. I'm happy with the car the way it is, the only thing left I'd like to do is put some light aftermarket front brakes on it. I have Wilwood discs on the rear.

Just trying to point out to you that you still have a substantial amount of ET on the table even with those old heads. Maybe try some Shaft Rockers.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 May 31st 2018, 2:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words Stuart, These engines make great power very easily.

Guys ,this is where Stuart wanted to be, you can just keep adding parts till the fun goes away.

I normally wont grind a customer a custom cam when were staying in the same type cam, flat vs flat, or roller vs roller, but I have found a good bit of hp in these A 429 heads with the right lobes and valve events. The cam he had wasn't a bad grind. It's what I normally see in these engines. But, it wasn't what his combo was asking for.

This deal saw a power increase on the dyno and an E.T. reduction at the track.

Stuart I'm glad it met your expectations.

Sux shipping to Canada, and I think it's mainly the states sides problems.............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow June 1st 2018, 1:49 pm

Awesome times

my 472 made 649 hopeful to get out this summer , been to long in the making
I would love to run those times with mine i would be damn happy

what rpm are you going through traps at ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 11th 2018, 2:08 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Thanks for the kind words Stuart, These engines make great power very easily.

Guys ,this is where Stuart wanted to be, you can just keep adding parts till the fun goes away.

I normally wont grind a customer a custom cam when were staying in the same type cam, flat vs flat, or roller vs roller, but I have found a good bit of hp in these A 429 heads with the right lobes and valve events. The cam he had wasn't a bad grind. It's what I normally see in these engines. But, it wasn't what his combo was asking for.

Sux shipping to Canada, and I think it's mainly the states sides problems.............    

Sorry for the slow response, been crazy around here with my 3 kids lately LOL...

Yes sir Blake, it's doing what I hoped and there is still more in it with adjustments and good air. Now that we have it hooking good were are going to try more rpm at the hit to see if the 60 drops. I was crossing through the traps between 6800-7000rpm on the 275 drag radial with a 3.70 gear. Usually, right on the 6900rpm mark. The forecast for this weekend is 17-18C* (62F) and sun with cloud. I don't know what the DA will be like but I had frost on my garage 3 times in the last week so we might get some good air first thing in the morning as our track is at 300ft above sea level. Cool Twisted Evil

BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 11th 2018, 11:48 pm

BigRigTech wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Thanks for the kind words Stuart, These engines make great power very easily.

Sorry for the slow response, been crazy around here with my 3 kids lately LOL...

Yes sir Blake, it's doing what I hoped and there is still more in it with adjustments and good air. Now that we have it hooking good were are going to try more rpm at the hit to see if the 60 drops. I was crossing through the traps between 6800-7000rpm on the 275 drag radial with a 3.70 gear. Usually, right on the 6900rpm mark. The forecast for this weekend is 17-18C* (62F) and sun with cloud. I don't know what the DA will be like but I had frost on my garage 3 times in the last week so we might get some good air first thing in the morning as our track is at 300ft above sea level.   Cool  Twisted Evil

Damn your track is only 300 ft above sea level must be nice tracks around here are 900-1,300 ft above sea level!!Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow June 12th 2018, 6:20 am

BigRigTech wrote:

Yes sir Blake, it's doing what I hoped and there is still more in it with adjustments and good air. Now that we have it hooking good were are going to try more rpm at the hit to see if the 60 drops. I was crossing through the traps between 6800-7000rpm on the 275 drag radial with a 3.70 gear. Usually, right on the 6900rpm mark. The forecast for this weekend is 17-18C* (62F) and sun with cloud. I don't know what the DA will be like but I had frost on my garage 3 times in the last week so we might get some good air first thing in the morning as our track is at 300ft above sea level.   Cool  Twisted Evil

thanks for info

i may have to much gear in my car have not ran yet , 1.76 glide 28x10.5 with 4.10 made 649 hp .......going to run it and try it .
Your car is going great
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 12th 2018, 7:53 am

I almost gave up on the 275's until I bought the new Afco's from Menscer's. It's all good stuff in the back now from Team Z and Afco and it hooks deadly which is nice.

Last edited by BigRigTech on June 12th 2018, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 12th 2018, 9:14 am

BigRigTech wrote:I almost gave up on the 275's until I bought the new Afco's from Menscer's. It's all good stuff in the back now from Team Z and Afco and it hooks dead which is nice.

275'drag radials are awesome in my opinion. Hey what is your 60 ft times ? Thanks Whitefield
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 12th 2018, 1:36 pm

whitefield wrote:
BigRigTech wrote:I almost gave up on the 275's until I bought the new Afco's from Menscer's. It's all good stuff in the back now from Team Z and Afco and it hooks dead which is nice.

275'drag radials are awesome in my opinion. Hey what is your 60 ft times ? Thanks Whitefield

I love the radials, so much safer feeling at the big end, handles like its on rails. Best yet is a 1.42 in the 60. My car has never been a rocket from the hit, usually 1.46-47 religiously with the old HP level. I'm still playing with the launch RPM now that I have the new shocks. I hope to improve on it this weekend.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down