BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of carbs

+5
DeepRoots
supervel45
stanger68
rmcomprandy
dfree383
9 posters

Go down

Cost of carbs Empty Cost of carbs

Post  dfree383 March 20th 2018, 7:30 pm

Is it just me or have carbs and carb parts prices increased dramatically since Holley took over quickfuel???
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cost of carbs Empty Re: Cost of carbs

Post  rmcomprandy March 20th 2018, 8:50 pm

dfree383 wrote:Is it just me or have carbs and carb parts prices increased dramatically since Holley took over quickfuel???

Just the big carbs...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 March 21st 2018, 12:52 pm

Just you. At Christmas Holley had everything 10% off. I bought a new QF 750 DP for $365. 4 corner idle, really nice carb. I like it.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 21st 2018, 10:50 pm

Parts went up quite a bit.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2018, 5:53 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Is it just me or have carbs and carb parts prices increased dramatically since Holley took over quickfuel???

Just the big carbs...

A regular 8896 1050 is over $900.....

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DeepRoots March 22nd 2018, 8:00 am

All parts had an Xmas special, and then got much more expensive with the new year.

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2018, 8:41 am

The price of having no real competition
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl March 22nd 2018, 11:27 am

Carb prices have definitely gone up - way up.  Holley has more or less gained a monopoly in the market, so they're free to push the price as high as the consumer is willing to pay vs. having to compete on price with a competitor.  I think they're also trying to push people towards fuel injection, as they're bringing the prices down on that stuff at the same time, but that's also partly in response to competition like FiTech cutting their balls off by coming out at half the price.  EFI is going to be more profitable going forward, and getting people into it will pay dividends going forward.  Those EFI systems are like computer systems....obsolete and need to be replaced every 3-5 years, and virtually worthless on the used market.  Carbs on the other hand last for decades, hold good value on the used market, and can be repaired/serviced for almost nothing.

Another thing Holley is doing is underselling their dealers/distributors by selling direct to retail at prices that are often lower than dealer cost....especially during those holiday sales.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the group that owns Holley buy Summit or Jegs in the near future, and just totally wipe out all the independent retailers.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 March 22nd 2018, 1:14 pm

I don't disagree that there are some really expensive carbs out there. But there is also several models in the 3-500 range for street cars. I paid nearly $500 for basic Holley 850 dp with 2 corner idle and no blowout protectionback in the 90's so me paying less than $400 for 750 dp 3 months ago with 4 corner idle , polished finish doesn't seem that bad to me.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2018, 1:24 pm

Holley had the market cornered then too, Barry grant came out with stuff back then and they had a bunch of legal action as I recall.

They pretty regularly sued quick fuel until they just gave up and bought Marvin out.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DeepRoots March 22nd 2018, 11:53 pm

stanger68 wrote:I don't disagree that there are some really expensive carbs out there. But there is also several models in the 3-500 range for street cars. I paid nearly $500 for basic Holley 850 dp  with 2 corner idle and no blowout protectionback in the 90's so me paying less than $400 for 750  dp 3 months ago with 4 corner idle , polished finish doesn't seem that bad to me.

True, but most of the new economy stuff is total junk.
The 80457 is probably the carb brought to my shop most often with complaints that it just runs like crap. I've logged the calibration of several versions and they are all over the place, often with randomly misdrilled holes.

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 March 22nd 2018, 11:57 pm

Truthfully they've earned the right to have "the market cornered" It's their design that everyone else is copying. If you've ever had your work stolen you'd understand. I've been in that situation where legally all you can do is stand by and watch as someone else makes money off your design. It's one thing to borrow a concept or principle. But these other carbs you're referring to are down right molded off a Holley. every single part is interchangeable There is nothing barry grant about a BG carb IT'S A HOLLEY! Always was. They should be paying royalties in my opinion.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 23rd 2018, 8:59 am

stanger68 wrote:Truthfully they've earned the right to have "the market cornered" It's their design that everyone else is copying. If you've ever had your work stolen you'd understand. I've been in that situation where legally all you can do is stand by and watch as someone else makes money off your design. It's one thing to borrow a concept or principle. But these other carbs you're referring to are down right molded off a Holley. every single part is interchangeable There is nothing barry grant about a  BG carb IT'S A HOLLEY! Always was. They should be paying royalties in my opinion.

I agree with you as I also have had my work copied. Also have had a laser vendor offer parts from my design/files to another fabricator. But defending your patents/Intelectual property costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The Wright Brothers went broke trying to defend their patents.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 23rd 2018, 9:28 am

stanger68 wrote:Truthfully they've earned the right to have "the market cornered" It's their design that everyone else is copying. If you've ever had your work stolen you'd understand. I've been in that situation where legally all you can do is stand by and watch as someone else makes money off your design. It's one thing to borrow a concept or principle. But these other carbs you're referring to are down right molded off a Holley. every single part is interchangeable There is nothing barry grant about a  BG carb IT'S A HOLLEY! Always was. They should be paying royalties in my opinion.

They cashed in for years....... The market needs some competition.

PS They lost most of the legal actions too.

Most of the (or at least a very large portion) performance industry companies are only names owned by conglomerates..... just revenue machines. They are not the red white and blue companies of yesteryear
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 23rd 2018, 11:02 am

Disagree. The 4150/4160 series Holley's came out in the 1950's. The patients have been long expired. It's no different then 1911 or AR15 clones. Holley and Colt just like screwing over competition, case in point the government M4 deal with the TDP's for military contracts.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bushmaster_wins_trademark_lawsuit_brought_by_COLT/118-260152/

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 23rd 2018, 11:20 am

It’s bad enough they price by the CFM.......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cost of carbs Empty Holley.

Post  blown473 March 27th 2018, 7:39 pm

Holley is trying to repeat what WR Grace did in the 70's when it bought up a vast amount of parts manufacturers starting with Mr Gasket Co . They didn't do a good job owning all those companies and servicing the debt that went with purchasing so many in a few years lead to stale product lines and long back orders so eventually they sold off companies, now Holley's group is trying the same thing, owning both MSD and Mallory, Lakewood and Quicktime,notice how they quickly they discontinued the 15220 Lakewood blowproof SFI bell that retailed around $275 and made your only option the Quicktime unit at $700 ! This is why I rebuild my old carbs and stay with them,would rather put that money some place else in the car. Buying used never looked so good......
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 30th 2018, 5:31 pm

dfree383 wrote:Holley had the market cornered then too, Barry grant came out with stuff back then and they had a bunch of legal action as I recall.

They pretty regularly sued quick fuel until they just gave up and bought Marvin out.

Most of his legal action was probably due to his stuff was horrible.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down