BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

block max. bore

5 posters

Go down

block max. bore Empty block max. bore

Post  strokedmyford December 10th 2017, 7:33 pm

I need an experienced builder to give me there opinion on the max. bore on this D9 block used in a n/a motor with around 800hp. the block is already at 4.420. block max. bore Sonist10
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

block max. bore Empty Re: block max. bore

Post  strokedmyford December 10th 2017, 10:22 pm

I recently purchased a sonic tester and I'm trying to find a block that will go 4.5 bore. I'm trying to get a feel for things when sonic testing a block and what results I need to be looking for.
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 11th 2017, 2:50 am

strokedmyford wrote:I need an experienced builder to give me there opinion on the max. bore on this D9 block used in a n/a motor with around 800hp. the block is already at 4.420. block max. bore Sonist10

Looking at the numbers, especially on the major thrust sides, it looks like you would be good for another size increase to 4.440, but that would be it unless you fill the block.
But what do I know....Im just trying to get my own junker running too!!Very Happy

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 11th 2017, 8:05 am

Don't forget to first calibrate your sonic tester for cast iron or your results might be a little off. Use some point on the block that's easy to verify the sonic testers numbers with using dial calipers or a micrometer (IIRC the main caps, or the china wall, or ???).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 11th 2017, 11:45 am

BBFTorino wrote:
strokedmyford wrote:I need an experienced builder to give me there opinion on the max. bore on this D9 block used in a n/a motor with around 800hp. the block is already at 4.420. block max. bore Sonist10

Looking at the numbers, especially on the major thrust sides, it looks like you would be good for another size increase to 4.440, but that would be it unless you fill the block.
But what do I know....Im just trying to get my own junker running too!!Very Happy  

I'd agree with this, but also add a half full won't hurt either.

Next size doesn't have to be another .020 either, with custom Pistons you can just hone out the wear too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal December 15th 2017, 4:11 am

That would be your best move.

Bore it however much will get you a decent cylinder and call it a day. You don't get that much power out of the bore size increase anyhow.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum