BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Coupe w/460

2 posters

Go down

30 Coupe w/460 Empty 30 Coupe w/460

Post  Myjack October 23rd 2017, 11:50 pm

Greetings

New member here, life long Ford fanatic.

I have a 1930 Model a Coupe with a 73 Lincoln 460 & C6.

The heads are D3VE - I believe th3e block is a stock 73 Lincoln, basically with headers, Wieand Stealth intake, & Edlebrock 750.  Nothing exotic or extreme.  I have re cored the radiator and had the tranny rebuilt with shift kit, Kevlar clutches and a stock stall tq converter. This spring, the 62 Pontiac rear was rebuilt with new posi, 4:10 gears and new M/W axels.

Time to think engine.  I'm thinking up side of 800 hp

A local shop has a 8-71 BDS blower, drive and intake - the owner says less than 10 hrs.  

His idea, build my 73 block with a 514-521 striker crank, rods & pistons. Get the new forged crank, H-beam rods etc. Aluminum heads - he is quoting about 1400 and saying by the time we replace the guides and seats and valves, port em and add guide plates etch - its cheaper to go alum - and save the 200 lbs -because the blower adds 350.

He's quoting upwards of 17k for a stroked 460 with the 8-71, alum heads, EFI injection - if I do the engine & tranny install etc.
I know,, speed costs MONEY.

I have a couple concerns, one of my early questions to the local shop was,  - is the intake manifold for CJ or stock heads - he says it will fit either. Something I've never heard.

Then there is the C4 issue - again he says lighter and reliable.  My experience has always believed the C-6 was the choice for HP

Ok,,  I know my fresh c-6 won't work with the blower - the shop is telling me a beefed C4 w manual shift body and higher stall converter is his recommended choice.  He is saying a TCI c-4 will hold over 1000HP. Clearly, either he's selling C-4's or C-4's have improved a lot in the last 20 or so years.

I was thinking, the headers wouldn't swap to CJ, SCJ or BOSS heads - only stock 429 & 460 heads

First question to the forum, anybody else think he's high selling?

I want to turn the car into an E ticket ride on a 99 cent menu.  

What do you think?

Is he shooting straight?

He's asking 4500 for the blower, 10% overdrive bullies & belt, & dual quad top and manifold - all polished.  

Who would run? Who would run to the bank?

Thanks for your help.
Myjack
Myjack

Back to top Go down

30 Coupe w/460 Empty Re: 30 Coupe w/460

Post  BBFTorino October 24th 2017, 1:02 am

Myjack wrote:Greetings

New member here, life long Ford fanatic.

I have a 1930 Model a Coupe with a 73 Lincoln 460 & C6.

The heads are D3VE - I believe th3e block is a stock 73 Lincoln, basically with headers, Wieand Stealth intake, & Edlebrock 750.  Nothing exotic or extreme.  I have re cored the radiator and had the tranny rebuilt with shift kit, Kevlar clutches and a stock stall tq converter. This spring, the 62 Pontiac rear was rebuilt with new posi, 4:10 gears and new M/W axels.

Time to think engine.  I'm thinking up side of 800 hp

A local shop has a 8-71 BDS blower, drive and intake - the owner says less than 10 hrs.  

His idea, build my 73 block with a 514-521 striker crank, rods & pistons. Get the new forged crank, H-beam rods etc. Aluminum heads - he is quoting about 1400 and saying by the time we replace the guides and seats and valves, port em and add guide plates etch - its cheaper to go alum - and save the 200 lbs -because the blower adds 350.

He's quoting upwards of 17k for a stroked 460 with the 8-71, alum heads, EFI injection - if I do the engine & tranny install etc.
I know,, speed costs MONEY.

I have a couple concerns, one of my early questions to the local shop was,  - is the intake manifold for CJ or stock heads - he says it will fit either. Something I've never heard.

Then there is the C4 issue - again he says lighter and reliable.  My experience has always believed the C-6 was the choice for HP

Ok,,  I know my fresh c-6 won't work with the blower - the shop is telling me a beefed C4 w manual shift body and higher stall converter is his recommended choice.  He is saying a TCI c-4 will hold over 1000HP. Clearly, either he's selling C-4's or C-4's have improved a lot in the last 20 or so years.

I was thinking, the headers wouldn't swap to CJ, SCJ or BOSS heads - only stock 429 & 460 heads

First question to the forum, anybody else think he's high selling?

I want to turn the car into an E ticket ride on a 99 cent menu.  

What do you think?

Is he shooting straight?

He's asking 4500 for the blower, 10% overdrive bullies & belt, & dual quad top and manifold - all polished.  

Who would run? Who would run to the bank?

Thanks for your help.
It all sounds fun, but how much money do you want to spend??
As for the components, 4500 is a decent price for the blower setup if it is complete.
The manifold is very likely sized for the CJ ports.
$17k is rather optimistic for a build like that, add at least another 4-5k!!
The C4 trans has indeed come a long way in recent years, but a full-on race prepped C4 is a ton of money!! Its not really the horsepower that kills em, its the massive torque!! Those small'ish drums and components cant take big torque input for very long.
Your C6 will be fine.
If you just want the look of the blower, you could simply put it on your current motor, and keep the boost down low....under 8 psi.
But if you're looking to turn this vehicle into a speed demon, you'll have to re-make the whole thing!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down