BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

385 Series Cylinder Head Choices, what does it all mean?

+6
BBFTorino
Mark Laczo
dfree383
maverick
DanH
nickpohlaandp
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

385 Series Cylinder Head Choices, what does it all mean? - Page 2 Empty Re: 385 Series Cylinder Head Choices, what does it all mean?

Post  nickpohlaandp May 26th 2018, 9:08 pm

I’m back from the dead and I’ve learned A LOT since this thread began. I’ve fallen into a few 385 series projects since and I’m in love with this engine... to heck with a BBC.

Here’s a SCJ (Kaase) head question for anyone in the know. I just picked up another rebuild project, a 429 that’s going to 521, and it has the SCJ heads. Does anyone know what the valve angle and cant is on them? Earlier it was said that the P51’s are basically a fully ported SCJ, but do they share the same valve angles and cants? If so, that’s great, because that info is on Kaase’s website. If they changed at all that sucks, because I haven’t been able to find any angle/cant information for the SCJ’s. If anyone can help me out I’d really appreciate it.

P.S. I know I could figure out the angle and cant with a bunch of time spent using a vertical mill, but if someone knows, that sure would save a lot of time.

Thanks

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

385 Series Cylinder Head Choices, what does it all mean? - Page 2 Empty Re: 385 Series Cylinder Head Choices, what does it all mean?

Post  Mike R May 26th 2018, 10:11 pm

SCJ same angles and pierce points as P51's

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp May 26th 2018, 10:40 pm

Mike R wrote:SCJ same angles and pierce points as P51's

Well that makes things easy. Thanks!

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT May 27th 2018, 9:58 am

Ford and aftermarket head builders used a different designation then GM but it's no more complicated with the bbc you have heads with the same name but different intake valve degrees like the Big Chief heads. Then you have the conventional vs non-conventional deal.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 27th 2018, 11:03 am

Mike R wrote:SCJ same angles and pierce points as P51's

YES ... different combustion chamber shape but, the same valve locations and angles.
Valve train studs on the intake side are a different angle.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp May 27th 2018, 11:09 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Valve train studs on the intake side are a different angle.

That’s odd

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2