BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oiling modifications... and how much power?

+30
Mike R
68galaxie
stanger68
Hardy
windsor
DILLIGASDAVE
FalconEh
cool40
6t6mustang
Mark Miller
cletus66
Paul Kane
BBFTorino
jbozzelle
QtrWarrior
Carl
kjett
D. Sea
BigRigTech
BOSS 429
Curt
Doug Rahn
5pointslow
dfree383
Dave De
Bosskk1786
Lem Evans
DanH
rmcomprandy
nickpohlaandp
34 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 3 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  kjett October 10th 2017, 9:09 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

YES ... you are correct. 2.300" and 1.880" valves are necessary for a 4.390" bore.

I'll be at 4.420 bore, but that's not enough of a difference to unshroud too large of a valve.

Not saying A460 heads are the right choice at all, but I know from experience that a 2.35/1.88 valve setup in TFS A heads will clear a 4.42 bore block. The problem is with the small bore, I chose to bevel the top of the block some to help with unshrouding the valves at partial lift. The A heads have huge chambers that are not the best when used with small bore blocks.

Last edited by kjett on October 10th 2017, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 3 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  Carl October 10th 2017, 9:13 am

In regard to the original question.....streetable + pump gas = no oiling mods required, just a good pan/tray/screen.

Agreed that a SFT would be my first choice vs. roller, but there are rollers that can live on the street, just need have the right lobes.

oh, and AFR heads would be my first choice.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech October 10th 2017, 9:17 am

Im no BBF expert by any means but know the difference between the heads...no worries there LOL...I was just pointing out that I don't think you need A460 heads to accomplish his goal. I'm running 275 drag radial pro's with a 3.70 gear.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 10th 2017, 12:13 pm

Lem Evans wrote:If an "off the rack" pan is the budget Moroso has a decent fox style pan. I'll have to look but, I think we may still have one of the FRPP crate engine fox pans.....has solid louvered tray....very good design.

I'm looking at the Moroso pan, P/N 20625 on Summit right now. It's baffled with windage tray and crank scraper built in.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 10th 2017, 12:15 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:Yes sir. I retired as a Sr. Master Craftsman back in Jan. 2015, worked there for 42 years.

I was a Sr. Aircraft Tech there for about 5 years. I left in 2013. Small world.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 10th 2017, 12:16 pm

D. Sea wrote:Lots of good advice so far.  IMO with your goals I'd lean towards a conventional type aluminum head like mentioned already and don't overlook a well setup A429 package.  Mine has been 9.25 at 147mph N/A at 3200#

What do you mean "A429"? Are you talking about the TF A429 heads?

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 10th 2017, 12:27 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:Yes sir. I retired as a Sr. Master Craftsman back in Jan. 2015, worked there for 42 years.

LOL, it is a small world. We have another member on here whose screen name is QtrWarrior that still works there and drives my car when we can get to the track.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 10th 2017, 4:27 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

LOL, it is a small world. We have another member on here whose screen name is QtrWarrior that still works there and drives my car when we can get to the track.

What track do you run at? Bulloch?

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 10th 2017, 5:55 pm

kjett wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

YES ... you are correct. 2.300" and 1.880" valves are necessary for a 4.390" bore.

I'll be at 4.420 bore, but that's not enough of a difference to unshroud too large of a valve.

Not saying A460 heads are the right choice at all, but I know from experience that a 2.35/1.88 valve setup in TFS A heads will clear a 4.42 bore block. The problem is with the small bore, I chose to bevel the top of the block some to help with unshrouding the valves at partial lift. The A heads have huge chambers that are not the best when used with small bore blocks.

Spot on....I had a 2.350" intake valve in a 4.375" bore in 1988.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior October 10th 2017, 7:54 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

Somebody call the Devil's name ??? lol Twisted Evil
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 10th 2017, 10:37 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:Somebody call the Devil's name ???  lol Twisted Evil

Ears were burning weren't they Mikey?

To the OP...  No oiling mods needed.  meaning don't worry about that hose from the back of the block to the port above the filter.  There's a spirited Facebook discussion going on about that right now...

I'd also recommend the P51s or the TFS 325s.  Both are great out of the box heads and would do great for street duty.  Custom grind cam and top it off with a Victor or TFS intake and an 1150.  That Moroso pan is good.  I have one on my 514.  The FRPP pan is good too.  Skinny Kid Race cars make an engine plate that locates the engine fairly well.  Uses the factory offset and fits between the frame rails tight enough to hold and weld.  Keith Fulp on here has the AutoCAD file he designed my midplate with.  You can buy a plate from him.  He does good work.  Headers are all over the place with fitment and ground clearance.  Better off to custom build some if you can.  You be money ahead in time and frustration.  Kooks made a decent fitting header but I don't think it's available any more.  It had a 4" collector which made packaging exhaust and low ride height a royal bitch... beware that headers are generally made for a specific k-member, crank height, ride height and engine setback. just because they fit great on one car means they'll fit great on all. I went through a set of Dynatechs and Kooks before I settled on a set of front exits so I can get the ride height where I want it on my car.

There's enough vendors and guys that do side work on here you could source all your parts from this website alone.

Go dig through the Proven Builds section and you'll find a bunch of great combos that could easily be duplicated.

And lastly, mark your calendar for the Ford race in KY that a bunch of us go to every year. Good time and a good way to put names with faces around here. Curt never shows up but all 5'9" of Randy does...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 11th 2017, 7:57 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

What track do you run at? Bulloch?

Screven Motorsports Complex which is only 19 miles from my house. But we haven't been in more that a year. I've made some changes to the car plus we have learned over the years that running there is a hit and miss proposition when it comes to the track itself and sometimes on how it's run by the management. Very frustrating when you spend a crap load of money on a car but don't have a descent track to test it out.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 11th 2017, 8:11 am

Doug Rahn wrote:...Screven Motorsports Complex which is only 19 miles from my house. But we haven't been in more that a year. I've made some changes to the car plus we have learned over the years that running there is a hit and miss proposition when it comes to the track itself and sometimes on how it's run by the management. Very frustrating when you spend a crap load of money on a car but don't have a descent track to test it out.

I know what you mean by that. That place used to piss me off. Go there on a Friday night, "racing starts at 6", or whatever they'd say, but they'd run one race down the track, realize their timing system was screwed up, and spend the next two hours trying to figure it out. Those people are just a fly-by-night operation... and lazy in my opinion. If you know you've got 150-200 people coming to run their cars, you'd think they could get their lazy asses out there earlier in the day to make sure that the timing system was actually functional.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 11th 2017, 8:26 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
D. Sea wrote:Lots of good advice so far.  IMO with your goals I'd lean towards a conventional type aluminum head like mentioned already and don't overlook a well setup A429 package.  Mine has been 9.25 at 147mph N/A at 3200#

What do you mean "A429"? Are you talking about the TF A429 heads?

Aluminum CJ Heads. They haven't been produced for many years but are an excellent "Street" head that will make the power you require. If you must have brand new heads then several choices have already been listed.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett October 11th 2017, 8:29 am

kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 11th 2017, 9:25 am

I saw that, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for... at least not yet. I'm going to build from the bottom up. I'll build the bottom end of the engine first, then I'll focus on the top end. I'm not there yet. I'm still in the research and development stages, lol.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt October 11th 2017, 10:03 am

jbozzelle wrote:

And lastly, mark your calendar for the Ford race in KY that a bunch of us go to every year.  Good time and a good way to put names with faces around here.  Curt never shows up but all 5'9" of Randy does...

That's not true John. I haven't been there for a while, but my job usually doesn't allow time off during the bash. I was the official photographer at the first memorial race.

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 3 100_1910

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 3 100_1911
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 11th 2017, 11:03 am

Curt wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:

And lastly, mark your calendar for the Ford race in KY that a bunch of us go to every year.  Good time and a good way to put names with faces around here.  Curt never shows up but all 5'9" of Randy does...

That's not true John. I haven't been there for a while, but my job usually doesn't allow time off during the bash. I was the official photographer at the first memorial race.

Just messing with you Curt. Next time you come we'll have some hot food and cold beer for you!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 11th 2017, 2:54 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:I know what you mean by that. That place used to piss me off. Go there on a Friday night, "racing starts at 6", or whatever they'd say, but they'd run one race down the track, realize their timing system was screwed up, and spend the next two hours trying to figure it out. Those people are just a fly-by-night operation... and lazy in my opinion. If you know you've got 150-200 people coming to run their cars, you'd think they could get their lazy asses out there earlier in the day to make sure that the timing system was actually functional.

LOL,  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing then you were probably there on some of the nights we were there. Lord Rolling Eyes knows how many time that has happened. At one time the owner did have a Manager for the drag strip that knew what he was doing and it was getting better, but then they had a parting of the ways. The owner did build a nice facility but he puts way more emphasis on the dirt round track especially with the payouts.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 11th 2017, 3:54 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:...The owner did build a nice facility but he puts way more emphasis on the dirt round track especially with the payouts.

This is very true.

You might've seen me there a few times. When I went there I didn't really have a track prepped car, I'd just run my mustangs. I had a white 2000 Mustang GT convertible with Bullit wheels, built mod motor, but never could get it to hook (not that I tried hard), and I had a 2012 Kona Blue GT that I ran there a few times. Most of the times I went there I was hanging out with my buddy Travis. He's a Bulloch County Sheriff Deputy. He runs a silver 2004 Mustang "Cobra". It was just a 2V 4.6 but he'd drive the shit out of it. I know he hasn't been there for probably at least two years. His car is undergoing its next phase of development. It won't be a 4.6 when it does come back out.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino October 12th 2017, 2:33 am

Welcome to the forum Nick!
Have you looked at the new BBF heads from AFR??.....they seem to be quite promising in the power dept.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:02 am

D. Sea wrote:...Aluminum CJ Heads.  They haven't been produced for many years but are an excellent "Street" head that will make the power you require.  If you must have brand new heads then several choices have already been listed.

We must be thinking of two different heads. I just installed a set of Ford SCJ aluminum heads on my buddy's 429 Torino. Summit sells them every day. They are the ones that were originally designed by Kasse. I believe the P51's are just a more refined version of the Ford SCJ heads.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:04 am

BBFTorino wrote:Welcome to the forum Nick!
Have you looked at the new BBF heads from AFR??.....they seem to be quite promising in the power dept.

I have not, but if they're in the realm of $1400/ea I'll stick with the Trick Flow unless someone starts posting some tests. AFR is a good brand, no question about that, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig for anything. Trick Flows are proven. Then again, maybe AFR will surpass them by the time I'm ready to get heads, so it's a moot point right now.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 11:03 am

BBFTorino wrote:Welcome to the forum Nick!

Haha! Maybe I should shut my mouth and look into things a bit before I spout off. The AFR Bullit heads flow just as well as the Trick Flow A460 340's and they only have a 0.25" raised exhaust port vs. Trick Flows 1.500" raised exhaust. That would certainly make packaging easier... and the price is the same for either set. Maybe when I'm ready I should call both companies and see if either will give me a military discount! That could be a deciding factor.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 12th 2017, 12:36 pm

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next