BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 direct drum stackup question

4 posters

Go down

C6 direct drum stackup question Empty C6 direct drum stackup question

Post  J.Toney January 17th 2017, 10:29 pm

Working with a 3 disc drum, with added snap ring groove. I've had decent service life from 4 clutch setups on these, but wanted to go to 5 and see if we find a difference in wear time. Using .077 steels, the 5th steel sits ~.070 under the lower ring groove. Seems like a potential issue when looking at it. One way to know is try it, but thought I'd get input and find out if I'm overthinking things. Looking at it, I'd worry the steel would hang in the groove. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

C6 direct drum stackup question Empty Re: C6 direct drum stackup question

Post  Gregaust January 19th 2017, 5:53 am

Here's Franks instructions and how I have done several. Only difference I do is use a .080" grooving tool. Reduce the distance up a little if you want less clearance .
The clearance you have is plenty. With a .078"friction on top of the last steel, it would near have to totally disintegrate before the steel hits that groove , and by then you got bigger issues than the steel hitting the groove Smile

Factory 3 clutch Drum
Using an .125” wide cutting tool register the tool in the original snap ring groove on the outer most edge as a starting point
-Bring the tool out towards the open side of the drum
- when using factory thickness clutches and steels ( .078” each) 5 of each move the tool out .345” and cut new snap ring groove , This should give you a clutch pack clearance of .060”- .065” with the standard .078” snap ring
- when using Red Alto Power Pac clutches and Kolene steels (.061”) 6 of each move the tool out .300” this should give you a clutch pack clearance of .072”-.078” with the standard .078” snap ring
There are no Modifications required to the factory .342 thick Pressure plate

Gregaust

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 19th 2017, 9:37 am

Thanks!! That's legit, hard to get to the groove unless the friction burns. But it looks sketchy by eye to me. I've read its done plenty, but no pics to see and haven't actually tried. I punted and used a factory 4 clutch with a cut pressure plate. But I'll do as suggested on a 3 disk in my own build first and see how it fly's.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  paperman January 20th 2017, 4:20 pm

I was in the same boat. I did the stack up before cutting. I did use the thick steel they send with the powerpacks to give a bit more "grab" length. Now the friction sits where the old snap ring was. Like you it looks sketchy but I have most if not all of the steel engaged in the drum. If you wear enough to pop it out you have more issues to work to do.

paperman

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl January 20th 2017, 9:07 pm

Don't use the thin steel that comes with the power pack as it will bend as it's way to thin ,use the factory 3/8" thick pressure plate
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down