BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545?

2 posters

Go down

Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545? Empty Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545?

Post  paperman May 31st 2016, 1:54 pm

Off road truck with a mild 545. 9.5:1, low .600 cam, A429 head, 1250 Dominator carb. I want to run from an air box on the fender to the carburetor, the box draws from the cab. Will 6" aluminum pipe be enough to feed it?

paperman

Back to top Go down

Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545? Empty Re: Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545?

Post  maverick June 1st 2016, 3:38 pm

I'd say it's big enough, given that this is an off road truck. Your biggest restriction is probably gonna be the filter. Since the filter is a requirement here, don't sweat it. That filter is MUCH more important on an off roader than maximum airflow.

That said, I did fab up an air inlet deal years ago on a race-only 514 "Ranger, kinda like the headlight inlets with ducts on the '64 Thunderbolts. I fabbed an airbox on the Dominator and used a pair of 4 "flex ducts. With no fliter to restrict the system, the car laid down like an old hound, probably because of screwed up air turbulence at the venturis....lost enough e.t. that I tossed the system in the trash at the track. My needs for airflow on a drag race car were MUCH different than yours, tho. I'd go ahead and do it.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545? Empty Re: Air cleaner plumbing, is 6" pipe enough for a 545?

Post  paperman June 1st 2016, 3:48 pm

I plan to use a large truck filter, Wix 42790, with over 350"'s of surface area compared to a standard 3x16 with just over 150. I see the area of my 6" is well above the total throttle bore size just wanted see of you all could throw a red flag in the air. Thank you.

paperman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down