BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Headers

+14
TommyK
bbf-falcon
bowsher21
richter69
whatbumper
bonfire
res0rli9
1982GT
Race Ready Fabrications
69F100
Mustang-junky
jbozzelle
bruno
MustangBBF
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DIY Headers - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY Headers

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 20th 2015, 4:58 am

Have to agree with the K.I.S.S. header building approach. Bolt on the flange, put the collector where you want it, & start stacking tubing to fill in the rest.

Some of the "tricks" for mocking up the header tube shape before actually cutting the first actual J-bend (like flexible tubing, welding rod, pvc tubing, etc) are pretty much a waste of time/money IMO. The flex tubing never really accurately represents a tight radius J-bend, & pvc straight's & elbows are even worse. And the welding rod trick might give you a basic idea of the bend, but not how the actual bent tubing will stack against it's neighbor. So in the end you are still making an educated guess when using the mock-up stuff.....just like you would if you just started with the actual J-bend instead.

If you absolutely can't get the header job done without using some form of tube mock-up tool, a better idea IMO is to just buy an extra J-bend & sacrifice it (by chopping it up giving you various lengths of straights & bend angles) to use as mock-up tools.

About the only "header making tool" I have ever found that really does help is using a simple hose clamp to align the weld joint between two pieces of header tubing before you tack them. Just take a regular SS hose clamp & drill 3 or 4 holes around the band. The 3-4 holes don't need to be real big, just big enough to have enough room to get a the tiny tack welds in there.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 22nd 2015, 9:50 pm

gonna have to build some new fender exits for the 632 C head deal..... is it wrong that I look forward to this??
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 22nd 2015, 10:12 pm

richter69 wrote:gonna have to build some new fender exits for the 632 C head deal..... is it wrong that I look forward to this??

Headers are our favorite things to build. Each one presents a new challenge.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  MustangBBF August 11th 2015, 11:22 am

First of all - for a layman this process is time consuming and frustrating.

For a home mechanic I have ~20 hours into the mockup headers. 6 tubes to be precise. Pass completely mocked and 2 tubes on driver are in progress.

I choose to use an inline collector for max street clearance on a lowered car. There were significantly more bends when I tried mockup with a traditional collector.

DIY Headers - Page 2 20150810

Mockup of collector in the car:

DIY Headers - Page 2 20150811

Top view of mockup:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/29/35/79/20150812.jpg

Starting the process: MOTHER F*ing PROCESS! BASTAGES

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/29/35/79/20150813.jpg

Mocked up (tacked passenger side): PS. Flanging the tubes with even a partial bend is and absolute nightmare. Tubes are not fully molded not is anything fully welded. My intent is to flare the tubes fully and tack weld the exterior more. The tig the inside tubes. Once completed mount a spare head to the welding table and fully secure flange to head and burn in outside.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/29/35/79/20150814.jpg

Driver side to crappy to show yet...

BTW - these are 1 7/8 to 2.5" collector. I will immediately transition to 3" for the x pipe.

Try not to laugh to hard. -Joe affraid

MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky August 11th 2015, 9:25 pm

Well, that's an interesting idea. I like it.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 August 12th 2015, 3:26 am

Never be afraid of failure with something you can do again................No Guts No Glory.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  MustangBBF August 13th 2015, 8:55 am

Very true, thank you for that.

When I started this I definitely did not have this picture in my head. After starting this process I ended up here.

Not pretty or completed yet but they will get the exhaust out.

DIY Headers - Page 2 20150814

MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 August 27th 2015, 11:11 am

Very nice.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content