BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high?

+16
BigRigTech
ROAD RAGE
hienergy557
maverick
Doug Rahn
69F100
cletus66
cool40
dfree383
nuclearcobra
Gregaust
DaveMcLain
bbf-falcon
Lem Evans
the Coug
ianxy351
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high? Empty Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high?

Post  ianxy351 February 21st 2015, 7:16 pm

Hi,

As the title suggests, we have a rear main leak in our 545BBF. We rebuilt the motor a couple of months ago and it has started leaking from the rear main. It is enough to spray oil mist inside the car (tube chassis Ford coupe, glide running inside, inspection opening in the bell near drivers foot). It is running around 75psi oil pressure. Rather than a damaged rear seal could the problem be too much oil pressure forcing oil past the seal? If yes, any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high? Empty Re: Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high?

Post  the Coug February 21st 2015, 8:02 pm

the question is did you put it in right? most don't know how...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high? Empty Re: Rear main leak. Oil pressure too high?

Post  Lem Evans February 21st 2015, 8:18 pm

75 psi should not be an issue.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 21st 2015, 8:28 pm

Do you have a good evap system?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 February 21st 2015, 8:32 pm

The only installation issue I can think of would be too much crush. I haven't been in the habit of checking rear main crush in any of my previous engines but have read recently that too much crush can lead to leaks. Prior to the rebuild it was dry so it is either too much crush or oil pressure. My 351C runs happily all day at 75psi but maybe there is some nuance with the BBF that I am unaware of?  I'm hoping I can find the problem and that it's not going to require the engine to come out.

We run an Moroso vacupan system.

Ian

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 21st 2015, 8:50 pm

If the issue was an evac issue oil would be coming out of the dipstick tube and trying to push the intake manifold end gaskets out.

"spray" is the word I'm keying in on. Most of the usual main seal issues are more like a drip.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 February 21st 2015, 8:58 pm

There are some drips, but the issue is that it is misting oil from the bell into the car. It's enough to hit the door but very fine mist. We can't race with it like that! I seems to be under pressure and being flung by the flex plate. I haven't seen anything like it before. The only other thing I can think of is a gallery plug failure but I think that is unlikely.

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 21st 2015, 9:03 pm

sounds like someone didn't stagger the rear main or put it in backwards.....there is no direct pressure to the rear main seal it has a void in the lower main cap which lets it flow out to the pan...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 February 21st 2015, 9:07 pm

It's definitely staggered. Maybe I had a moment and put it in backwards. Would be a first if that is it. Maybe it tore on startup? Whatever the situation, it sounds like I need to open it up and replace the seal.

Thanks for the help Lem and others.

Ian

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 21st 2015, 9:11 pm

Lanxy check the end of the seal I have seen them with little titties on them and they won't seal against each other...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 February 21st 2015, 9:15 pm

Thanks. Will do.

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain February 22nd 2015, 12:49 am

the Coug wrote:sounds like someone didn't stagger the rear main or put it in backwards.....there is no direct pressure to the rear main seal it has a void in the lower main cap which lets it flow out to the pan...

I've never figured out how "staggering" the ends of the seal could make any difference what so ever in how the seal functions, please explain.....

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust February 22nd 2015, 4:16 am

You lube it up good Ian on assembly ? I've checked the crush on a few since reading it here , the blocks had been line honed but the crush still was ok .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 February 22nd 2015, 4:26 am

Yes Greg.  did all the usual things.  I use engine oil on the rear main.  Only issue may be that between installing the crank and start up was a couple of weeks.  I'm going to have to pull the engine and put it on a stand to find whats wrong. I too wasnt aware of the crush issue until recently (when this problem first arose and I started researching).

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra February 22nd 2015, 8:32 am

DaveMcLain wrote:
the Coug wrote:sounds like someone didn't stagger the rear main or put it in backwards.....there is no direct pressure to the rear main seal it has a void in the lower main cap which lets it flow out to the pan...

I've never figured out how "staggering" the ends of the seal could make any difference what so ever in how the seal functions, please explain.....

X2 I never staggered a seal on any of the 302's , 351w's or 460's and never had them leak.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 22nd 2015, 12:08 pm

Sounds like it's either backwards, worn out seal or face on the crank, or to much pressure in the crank case? I've had some issues with eagle and scat cranks leaking in the past, guessing it was a sizing issue on those?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 22nd 2015, 12:53 pm

Oil pressure wouldn't be a problem at 75#. I have ran much more than that before with no problems.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 February 22nd 2015, 1:01 pm

dfree383 wrote:Sounds like it's either backwards, worn out seal or face on the crank, or to much pressure in the crank case? I've had some issues with eagle and scat cranks leaking in the past, guessing it was a sizing issue on those?

Years ago, my machinist showed me a new import BBC crank. When he put it in the v blocks and spun it with a dial indicator on all the mains, it was fine, but when he put the dial indicator where the seal rides, it bounced up and down. I can't remember how or if he fixed it.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 22nd 2015, 2:39 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:

I guess you have never had any crush on the seal huh? I have seen where the seal has spread when you put the main cap on and the ends get under the main cap and kept from mating completely.... I have staggered the seal 1/8 or more to keep the edges from flaring out and crushing up under the main cap ...

also inxy check to make sure the groves on the seal area are cut in the right direction I have seen them cut backwards to where when the crank rotates the push any oil to the seal area...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 22nd 2015, 5:01 pm

the Coug wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:

I guess you have never had any crush on the seal huh? I have seen where the seal has spread when you put the main cap on and the ends get under the main cap and kept from mating completely.... I have staggered the seal 1/8 or more to keep the edges from flaring out and crushing up under the main cap ...

also inxy check to make sure the groves on the seal area are cut in the right direction I have seen them cut backwards to where when the crank rotates the push any oil to the seal area...

X2
Like Randy Said I like to stagger mine also so the ends are in the block and rear main cap my Dad told me about staggering the rear main seal back when I rebuilt my 1st engine many years ago. He said I will have less chance of a rear main leaks this way and that why I do mine that way.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 22nd 2015, 5:43 pm

Jim I have seen what they do on main caps and when you butt the flush with the cap they seem to mushroom out and under the main cap, when you stagger the slightly they don't mushroom.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 22nd 2015, 5:45 pm

JMHO, but maybe check for a lose oil galley plug or even a small crack in the boss where they screw in.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 22nd 2015, 7:16 pm

Gotta be backwards or incorrect part. 80 psi and no evac on the old 514....nary a drop in years.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain February 22nd 2015, 8:22 pm

the Coug wrote:Jim I have seen what they do on main caps and when you butt the flush with the cap they seem to mushroom out and under the main cap, when you stagger the slightly they don't mushroom.

Let's see a picture of this phenomenon that you're describing, I've never seen such a think and I still say that messing around with staggering the ends of the seal makes zero difference.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 22nd 2015, 8:54 pm

Shocked
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum