BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil cooler's

4 posters

Go down

Oil cooler's Empty Oil cooler's

Post  jones January 19th 2015, 10:36 pm

Simple question tube & fine or Plate cooler?

I'm mainly interested in transmission cooler but I also want to run a oil cooler. From what I have read a plate cooler is more effective just don't know if they are restrictive.

Are the engine oil coolers really needed? Has there ever been any evidence to there benefits? Isn't engine oil designed to run at high temp's. What causes excessive temp other than engine failure?

jones

Back to top Go down

Oil cooler's Empty Re: Oil cooler's

Post  Curt January 20th 2015, 11:00 am

A plate cooler is more efficient but weighs more. Is your oil overheating?  I believe oil temp is more important that water temp, but I'm not sure what your application is.

Transmission cooler highly recommended in any application.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 20th 2015, 11:48 am

This is all preliminary. I plan to use a electric fan/ plate cooler for the transmission. I'm just not sure of the importance of a oil cooler as I don't see a lot of oil coolers on engines. This is going on my 521 in my 84 F150 used for race & street.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 20th 2015, 3:25 pm

For just drag application it's usually a problem getting heat in the oil.  Endurance racing, street driving,  more application for oil cooling.  Most efficient is a larger trans cooler in air flow with fan and thermostatic control to keep the oil from flowing through the cooler until its above 180 is standard thermostat temp.   When the mustang was on the street I ran an oil cooler.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 20th 2015, 7:02 pm

Water cools the block that cools the oil along with conductivity thru the pan. Your oil may get hot if your block is partially filled and drivng on the street. Other than that you shouldnt need one.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 20th 2015, 7:05 pm

I'm thinking tube and fin cooler after the remote oil filters. (I have purchased a double remote filter kit) The tube and fin coolers IMO don't restrict flow, so why not!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 20th 2015, 7:09 pm

BUT!! IThat is just more places for things to go wrong. There is something to be said about having all the oil contained in the engine.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down