BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you change on this engine?

2 posters

Go down

What would you change on this engine? Empty What would you change on this engine?

Post  jones June 22nd 2014, 3:56 pm

This is the engine I have laying in the shop, the only reason I pulled the engine was lack of oil pressure. (0psi using and autometer gauge) The engine made awesome power for about 20ft then it seemed like a just a slow cruise down the rest of the track. I am thinking about sending this engine to the machine shop and having all the bearings replaced, etc.
The long block is basic 1979 460 besides the mods listed bellow. I believe the compression is pretty low so I defiantly want to rase the compression ratio. See anything else I could change?

This will be going in my 1984, f150, 4x4, showy truck, seriously doubt it will ever see mud again but will be played with! LoL

Cylinder compression test 120-124lbs

1979 factory stock 460 (heads have never been unbolted)

1970 timing chain

Edlebrock performer intake

Custom Cam from RHP Lcs 110.5 Intake dur 217 lift .520 Exh dur 223.6 lift .518 (with PEP valve springs and new hyd lifters)

1-3/4 headman headers

3" mandral bent exhaust, Summit x-pipe and 3" Dynomax Bullets (Some say it sounded like a Dodge Viper v10 and others though a Diesel it howled)

2” 4 hole plastic spacer

Holley 4150 850 dp

Ford recurved distributor from RHP

MSD 6al

MSD Blaster SS coil

MSD wires

Carter CJ mechanical fuel pump

89-93 octane 36-40 degrees of timing

Factory C6

2,600 stahl converter (Ford converter re stalled) from RHP

Broader shift kit, 3rd stage

Factor 3:50 rear gear

Summit racing Mini spool

29x9R15 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials

Mickey Thompson 15x10 wheels

Ran a best 1/8 mile et 8.82 @75mph with a 1.80 60ft in  a 1979 F150 Lariat supercab 2wd weighs 4,540lbs  

Last edited by jones on June 22nd 2014, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

jones

Back to top Go down

What would you change on this engine? Empty Re: What would you change on this engine?

Post  jones June 22nd 2014, 4:04 pm

I ran out of gas one night and thru some race gas (110-114) in it and it killed the engine power!! I made two runs and gave-up. So I know the compression must be super low.

jones

Back to top Go down

What would you change on this engine? Empty Re: What would you change on this engine?

Post  DanH June 22nd 2014, 4:11 pm

Find out why it lost oil pressure. fix itplus any other worn items and install it in the truck. looks to be a good engine for your current want

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  jones June 22nd 2014, 5:01 pm

It never seemed like it had enough midrange-top-end! I'd like to increase the power higher through out the rpm levels. Other race car driver that road with me said it felt like a pro-mod pulling for the first 10-20ft then it died. (guy that said that actually drives 'em) Everyone that road with me said basically the same thing. It was like the truck gave up past 10-20'.

The truck I'm building now isn't a drag truck, but I have noticed cars or trucks drive much better on the street after a weekend or two tuning at the dragstrip.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones June 22nd 2014, 5:13 pm

Would you agree that raising the compression ratio will help with the current camshaft?
Should I bump up to another intake? (i'll have to buy a new one anyway sold the Performer)

Please forgive my grammar,

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down