BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Servo

5 posters

Go down

Servo Empty Servo

Post  fordmanmatt November 24th 2013, 12:05 pm

So I am rebuilding my c6 transmission am I have read were there needs to me some machine work to get new better servo installed like the tci performance servo kit summit part number http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-423005/overview/ is there a good servo that I can buy with no machine work I would like to just bolt on a new performance servo is this possible????

Its a c6 that was stock in a 1978 Ford F150
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Servo Empty Looks like a sonnax

Post  manofmerc November 26th 2013, 6:39 am

Matt that pic looks like the sometimes troublesome sonnax servo.Those two springs are a dead giveway .I have had more trouble than success with the sonnax servo .Once I had mine turned down to Mr.Merkyls specs all was good .And that is a high price to pay too($187) .If you look down the page you will see where I posted on a servo that was advertised in car craft magazine .I believe superior product makes it .Do a search and you will see lots of info on c6 servos and especially sonnaxs version .Really on a more street oriented build I would go with a factory servo .I have two cars with oem servos and both have a nice 1-2 and 2-3 shift .My sonnax equiped c6 shifts nice to but I had to turn it down to get it to work.Good luck to you !Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Servo Empty oops I screwed up !

Post  manofmerc November 26th 2013, 6:44 am

In my post to you I said that was a superior product servo in car craft .It was performance automatic .And from the pic I saw it didnt look like a sonnax .Sorry !Smile Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Servo Empty Re: Servo

Post  fordmanmatt November 26th 2013, 9:58 pm

what did you mean turn it down  with the sonnax also you are saying that the TCI unit I was showing is not part of the sonnax, also did you have to do any modifying with the performance automatic????

manofmerc wrote:Matt that pic looks like the sometimes troublesome sonnax servo.Those two springs are a dead giveway .I have had more trouble than success with the sonnax servo .Once I had mine turned down to Mr.Merkyls specs all was good .And that is a high price to pay too($187) .If you look down the page you will see where I posted on a servo that was advertised in car craft magazine .I believe superior product makes it .Do a search and you will see lots of info on c6 servos and especially sonnaxs version .Really on a more street oriented build I would go with a factory servo .I have two cars with oem servos and both have a nice 1-2 and 2-3 shift .My sonnax equiped c6 shifts nice to but I had to turn it down to get it to work.Good luck to you !Doug
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt November 26th 2013, 10:00 pm

I just want a performance servo that I wont have to do any modifying to get it to fit and work right because this is a street / strip application build....
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger November 27th 2013, 5:21 pm

All that needs to be done is to machine the land for the large o-ring down .008". I had mine done at a local machine shop and all it cost me was a bag of cookies for shop employees.

The cut needs to be .008" deep not .008" overall diameter.

I have another aftermarket servo not a Sonnax/TCI that needs the same operation done.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow November 27th 2013, 8:59 pm

I used a Superior Super Servo in my lightly modded C6 and it works great with no additional machine work needed. One note though(as recommended by Mr. Merkl), use the factory Ford servo spring the more robust the better and not the replacement spring(s) that come with the aftermarket servo. Hope this helps, Todd
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt November 28th 2013, 6:08 pm

Ok thanks everyone, I still am having trouble understanding were the machine work needs to be is it the post coming out of the servo that goes in first or where the o ring closer to the larger end where it is bolted on  it needs to be .008 deep right in one of those locations?????
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl December 4th 2013, 1:18 am

on the servo ,the large piston were the oring goes needs to be .007" to .010" deeper , the bottom of the groove a .007" -.010" cut deeper
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down