BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearing for the track

2 posters

Go down

Gearing for the track Empty Gearing for the track

Post  460Dave September 9th 2013, 12:01 pm

Ok...I am looking for thoughts and ideas from you guys with experience in this area. I have a 3000lb Fox body T-bird drag car. The combination is changing and am trying to figure out what gearing combination to start with. It was running a P51 headed 466 w/ an OE 1.76 glide with a UCC converter (stalled at 5050) and a 4.11 - 9" on 315 MT radials. It would run out of motor long before the 1/4 mile with a 6600 rpm limiter. I ran it a couple of times to 6800, but still didn't have enough to reach the end.

New engine (being built) is a P51 headed 545 (race only). It should have a lot more torque and power than the old 466 did. The plan is to turn it to 6500 rpm or so. I want to upgrade the planetaries in the Powerglide and I'm not opposed to changing the rear gear. My options are 1.80 or 1.69. It seems that the 1.80 are a bit stronger, but there might be advantages to the 1.69.

My thoughts were to use the 1.80 tranny gear w/ a 3.70 rear. I would like to know if anyone thinks there is a better combo or option. Is there any combo that will work well in both the 1/4 and 1/8th, maybe with a tire swap? I know there are compromises, but what combo might have the least? There is a lot of discussion on the Bullet, but it all seems to center around small block combinations.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Gearing for the track Empty Re: Gearing for the track

Post  richter69 September 9th 2013, 4:15 pm

try what you got first................... I got a stack of gear sets lying around the shop..............in fact im in the process of swapping gears in both cars right now..again.

In other words only real world testing will give you the number you need.

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Gearing for the track Empty I get that...

Post  460Dave September 9th 2013, 7:47 pm

I just hate to spend the money for a planetary gearset only to find out that the common knowledge is that I should have gotten the other one. I don't have deep enough pockets to do too much trial and error. Trying to make an educated guess using your education.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 9th 2013, 9:20 pm

get the 1.80 for the strength, those stock planets always make a mess when they fail.... no real difference in a 1.76 over a 1.80 ratio wise

the 1.69 you better have a lot of ass if you want it to leave worth a damn.

Id send the converter to Lenny and get it tightned up a bit also, try the 4.11, adj gear if needed.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down