BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

main girdle

+15
LovesDemCubes
blown473
kim
Dave C.
werneil
Barney
maverick
56Tbird
richter69
cool40
rmcomprandy
bbf-falcon
the Coug
Lem Evans
Larry Williams
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

main girdle - Page 2 Empty Re: main girdle

Post  Dave C. September 4th 2013, 12:36 pm

Cracker Jacks are good.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 4th 2013, 1:13 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
werneil wrote:with factory block, YES , how can it not help hold everything together , when assembled it becomes a structural part of the block  !!
Adding structure, (not even helpful structure as the older girdles used to offer but, people didn't buy them because it was required to machine the main caps flat), when the metal itself failing is the problem, doesn't solve anything except, (as you say), to keep it all tied together when it breaks.

The older girdles used to somewhat support the weaker main caps.
back in the stone age main girdles weren't these mass produced stamped crank seat belts.

The blocks that ran em, mainly the original top fuel stuff trying to make stock 396 dodge hemi crap hold onto 3000hp in the day, used a complete cap cover that tied into the pan rail. It was basically a 2" to 3" extension of the pans, mains etc. Using every fastener on the bottom of the block to hold the crank in. Then the pan was added on.

Modern stuff.... almost as usefull as the valley girdles. Aluminum variants even adding to premature failure as it expands and contracts at different rates than the iron and pushes and pulls the main bolts and caps in ways that a simple build would never do.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 4th 2013, 11:02 pm

Canton, Blue Thunder, Trick Flow, all good girdles. Stamped Ebay stuff, junk with junk hardware. I've seen the DSS aluminium units full of cracks too, but that could be a very bad tune, or the difference in expansion another poster mentioned. Alot of guys here run N/A, but many also run power adders. I'm in the second group, running supercharged. All I can post is my 35 years of experience with them and that's been ZERO bottom end failures, so either I'm a good tuner, or I'm getting some help from descent quality girdles. I wouldn't run a 2 bolt block with out one. If I had a CJ block I'd still use one. Only the huge caps of the A460 block impress me enough that I'd leave it off . That's just my opinion, and I'm in the minority on the forums, and that's ok. Being a descent tuner is more important than running a girdle, or having a 4 bolted block is far superior. If your a descent tuner and are going to push a 2 bolt block hard you might want to consider a girdle. If you spend enough time at your local machine shop you will now see many OEM car manufacturers now produce their engines with main girdles, including many of the high end imports. Feel free to ponder that one.....
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 4th 2013, 11:11 pm

main girdle should be good for some 4.90's.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 5th 2013, 12:15 am

HERO PARTS FOR SURE ! But only "Pro Comp" brand ! There's are made of cardboard.... oil resistant cardboard that is, full race of course !
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 5th 2013, 8:54 am

blown473 wrote:  If you spend enough time at your local machine shop you will now see many OEM car manufacturers now produce their engines with main girdles, including many of the high end imports. Feel free to ponder that one.....
Those you'll see in OEM's are part of the bottom end structure; NOT just tied together with the main bolts.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 5th 2013, 11:43 am

The best main girdles are the light weight ones. They are easy to handle but,heavy enough that my Bills/Dunns don't fly off the desk,even w/my BigASS fan running.I would highly recommend the DSS model ,they look great when polished. Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 5th 2013, 10:31 pm

OEM's are not all part of the structure, I have seen Toyota & Lexus that are, and GM 6 cyls that are in fact stamped pieces bolted on. Depends on the car maker. The factories want to produce engines as cheaply as possible so they would not add the cost of any girdle or crank support unless it was needed. If we had a penny for every time this debate happened we could pass out free A460 blocks to everyone on the forum and be done with it ! As I said before, build your engine/house any way you want, your the one that has to live with the results. I'll stick with what has a proven track record in my own personal engine builds. Spend money on some other parts if that's what you feel is a better investment.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams September 5th 2013, 11:13 pm

I now have a nice shinny paperweight for my desk. A little big but i have to use it for something
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 6th 2013, 3:29 pm

Larry Williams wrote:I now have a nice shinny paperweight for my desk.   A little big but i have to use it for something
Some people use them in the bottom end of their engine to hold the windage tray, LOL.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 6th 2013, 6:48 pm

Both great ideas, and probably applicable to those making Briggs & Straton horsepower with their 385 series.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 6th 2013, 7:52 pm

blown473 wrote:Both great ideas, and probably applicable to those making Briggs & Straton horsepower with their 385 series.

I bet there are more out there making alot more power than you will ever running without a girdle...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  LovesDemCubes September 6th 2013, 7:55 pm

blown473 wrote:Both great ideas, and probably applicable to those making Briggs & Straton horsepower with their 385 series.
There is an old Islamic saying if 3 men call you a Donkey then have yourself fitted for a bridle.

Seems like the conscious is Girdles suck.

LovesDemCubes

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 6th 2013, 7:58 pm

they just dont really do any good is all, no bang for the buck.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams September 6th 2013, 8:26 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Larry Williams wrote:I now have a nice shinny paperweight for my desk.   A little big but i have to use it for something
Some people use them in the bottom end of their engine to hold the windage tray, LOL.
the only way i could get the pan to fit with the girdle is to machine about an inch of the thickness off an entire side of the girdle. Even removing the screen out of the pan didn't help with the fit.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 6th 2013, 8:39 pm

richter69 wrote:they just dont really do any good is all, no bang for the buck.
SOME do so, don't paint them all with the same wide brush but, those which work are steel and require machining of the stock main caps. People who build engines in their own back yard don't seem to like using those because they are not simply a "bolt together" unit.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 6th 2013, 10:14 pm

It's the opinion of the same regulars on this forum that they are little to zero value to the dollar. Brand name successful companies such as Canton, Trick Flow, Blue Thunder and such stand behind their girdles, the time & research put into them. Those companies opinion carry just as much weight as any poster on here or any other forum for that matter. And as for horsepower, supercharged I could sneeze and make 900 horsepower, my old motor made 1008 at the flywheel which is more than many on here. Not the most by far and away, but respectable. I expect that in a few weeks the new engine in my truck will make more at a lower rpm. My goal has always been longevity in my engines, through sturdy construction, and good tuning using time proven components that were part of previous successful engines. In my own experience , mine not yours, main girdles have helped whether I was running 351w's, FE's, or 385 series. Every engine builder has his own personal recipe for their builds, and this is mine. On this subject the best thing is just to agree to disagree and leave it at that. There will always be others with better motors, or higher horsepower, bigger budgets, that's a given.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 6th 2013, 11:31 pm

Its always better to do more with less.........."crutched" or whatever you wanna call it.

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

main girdle - Page 2 Empty Adding baffles and a few other questions.

Post  BigRigTech November 27th 2013, 9:58 pm

edit post, my mistake.Rolling Eyes 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell December 1st 2013, 9:32 pm

If you want to sell it I might be interested. Let me know.

Bret

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

main girdle - Page 2 Empty Agree - Girdles need Dowels

Post  mkopmani December 19th 2013, 11:49 am

I'm in agreement with most here. The only way a girdle does any good is if it's doweled - then it's held in place. Otherwise, it just scoots around. The main studs are insufficient clamp pressure to keep things from moving. Dowels are the only way. By the time you've machined one this way, you'd have a lot of money tied up, and the bulkhead of the block would still be insufficient to handle stout power. If you're making more than 750hp, your mains will thank you for investing in an A460 block.

JMO,
Mike K - Ford Powertrain Engineering.

mkopmani

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 19th 2013, 12:03 pm

mkopmani wrote:If you're making more than 750hp, your mains will thank you for investing in an A460 block.

JMO,
We have customers who are generating double that power level without an A460 block and their mains "thank" them with every pass.  This is not to say that an A460 block isn't the better choice in such an application, I'm saying that 750 hp ain't jack for a 2-bolt 460 block in just about every engine combo.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell December 19th 2013, 5:47 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
mkopmani wrote:If you're making more than 750hp, your mains will thank you for investing in an A460 block.

JMO,
We have customers who are generating double that power level without an A460 block and their mains "thank" them with every pass.  This is not to say that an A460 block isn't the better choice in such an application, I'm saying that 750 hp ain't jack for a 2-bolt 460 block in just about every engine combo.

Paul

That all depends on how hard you spin it, bob weight & tune.

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 19th 2013, 7:32 pm

Bret Powell wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:

JMO,

Paul

That all depends on how hard you spin it, bob weight & tune.

Agreed....there should always be some context of how a given part is used relative to much any part will stand before it fails.

I'd never seen a two piece Scat forged crankshaft before this summer. The context is.....not many people turn 8,200 rpm every pass like Ronnie Smith does in his Curtis 501 hyroplane dragboat.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2