BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission

+7
David Cole
Wheelie58
BigDave65
whatbumper
QtrWarrior
Curt
DavidNC23
11 posters

Go down

Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission Empty Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission

Post  DavidNC23 September 25th 2011, 5:33 pm

Where is the best place to get a PG for a BBF 3200lb car with 1500hp? How much am I looking at. I would prefer a SFI case and bellhousing.

Thanks

David

DavidNC23

Back to top Go down

Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission Empty Re: Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission

Post  Curt September 25th 2011, 5:50 pm

The best thing to do, is get a mid plate that adapts the PG pattern to the BBF. Then pick your poison. Lots of good builders out there. 1500HP is no longer a problem with a glide.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission Empty Re: Future Need for a PG to BBF Transmission

Post  QtrWarrior September 25th 2011, 6:16 pm

And , if you're at a race and kill a trans, It's ALOT easier to find someone with a standard bell 'Glide.
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 25th 2011, 7:06 pm

I'll build anything you need. Just let me know.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 September 25th 2011, 9:25 pm

DavidNC23 wrote:Where is the best place to get a PG for a BBF 3200lb car with 1500hp? How much am I looking at. I would prefer a SFI case and bellhousing.

Thanks

David

Where are you located?
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 25th 2011, 9:57 pm

If you decide to use a Chevy bell case, I can make a 1/2" mid plate/adapter that bolts to the BBF block and accepts the Chevy trans pattern. For a door car, I can make removable 1/4" thick "wing plates" that make it a cool mid plate. That makes it lighter than a full width 1/2" plate.
Just call or PM if you are interested.
Thanks
Keith Fulp
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidNC23 September 25th 2011, 10:03 pm

BigDave65 wrote:
DavidNC23 wrote:Where is the best place to get a PG for a BBF 3200lb car with 1500hp? How much am I looking at. I would prefer a SFI case and bellhousing.

Thanks

David

Where are you located?

I am in Charlotte, NC. Is that your car in your avitar? That is exactly what I am looking to build, except in the 99-04 body...

DavidNC23

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 25th 2011, 11:14 pm

Curt wrote:The best thing to do, is get a mid plate that adapts the PG pattern to the BBF.

As someone who has both dragster and door car, gonna have to disagree with this one. Adapter plate is the way to go on a dragster, but can be a pain in a door car. Pulling the trans with the engine is no big deal in a dragster, but in a door car sometimes it can be easier to leave the trans in place when you just need to pull the engine. Just remove the bellhousing and converter bolts. The Chevy bellhousing covers up some of the countersunk bolts that bolt the adapter plate to the back of the block. No way to unbolt just the engine without pulling the trans first.

I like my Ultrabell for this reason. If I had it to do over again I would look at the ATI setup. It's a a 2 piece deal like JW, but the bell does not bolt to the pump. Four large outer bolts like a manual trans.

David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 25th 2011, 11:29 pm

Dave, my mid plate in my Cougar had two bolts that connected it at the firewall. Couldn't have been easier to pull both.

I raced super comp and super gas at the same time, so I have experienced your pain.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 26th 2011, 12:40 am

i realy like the reid case glide i got from PTC.get the 2 piece case Wink
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 3rd 2011, 12:20 pm

I have the ATI case/bell combo. It's nice that the bell bolts to the case and not the pump. I would go this route again if I had to. The GM or Ford pattern bell is just up to you and what you want.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  A70maverick November 8th 2011, 5:08 am

Are the GM pattern bolts for the glide and the Ford starter on the ATI plate threaded, or are you supposed to put nuts on the backside? Seems like a PITA if you need nuts on backside! And does this setup do away with the factory thin spacer plate between motor and trans? Also, do you use a GM bolt pattern converter with the included flexplate? Thanks!

A70maverick

Back to top Go down

Post  ultimatelenny November 8th 2011, 9:16 am

DavidNC23 wrote:
BigDave65 wrote:

Thanks

David

Where are you located?

I am in Charlotte, NC. Is that your car in your avitar? That is exactly what I am looking to build, except in the 99-04 body...

We are located in Cornelius, NC, just up the road from you. If your ever in the area stop in for the nickle tour, more than happy to help out.
ultimatelenny
ultimatelenny

http://www.ultimateconverter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 8th 2011, 9:19 am

A70maverick wrote:Are the GM pattern bolts for the glide and the Ford starter on the ATI plate threaded, or are you supposed to put nuts on the backside? Seems like a PITA if you need nuts on backside! And does this setup do away with the factory thin spacer plate between motor and trans? Also, do you use a GM bolt pattern converter with the included flexplate? Thanks!

the case is threaded. We use the block protector if we don't use a midplate. you need a GM converter.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down