BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racing oil Conversation

+2
David Cole
away
6 posters

Go down

Racing oil Conversation Empty Racing oil Conversation

Post  away February 21st 2017, 12:31 pm

I have always used VR1-20W-50 but autozones have stopped selling this. Advance is going to continue to carry this.

So I started looking at other oils. So what do most of you guys run with Alky-Injection.

Schaffers? Renegade Racing oil (advertises no more oil milkshake)? Brad Penn? Green oil lol? And what part number or type are you guys running and why?

I hope this isn't going to start an oil fight lol but I am interested in the technical aspects.

away
away

Back to top Go down

Racing oil Conversation Empty Re: Racing oil Conversation

Post  David Cole February 21st 2017, 1:31 pm

I use Brad Penn 10W30.  Looks good with alky.  No milkshake.  Picked 10W30 based on my clearances.    .027-.028 rods and .030-.032 mains.  Morel lifters, not sure of that clearance, but machine shop did hone the lifter bores to size in the A460 block.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 21st 2017, 2:43 pm

Schaeffers 20/50 Very Happy if you have alky in your oil it's not the oil.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/191-micron-moly.html
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  away February 21st 2017, 3:37 pm

cool40 wrote:Schaeffers 20/50 Very Happy if you have alky in your oil it's not the oil.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/191-micron-moly.html

I knew someone was going to say that no problems here what so ever milking the oil- I run Ron's injection with gas primer plus I am only on Alky from the burnout box to the stripe.

The above oil and part number is what I had my eye on.  It has a decent technical explanation.

I am looking as to why someone would run a particular oil not just bc someone said to run it or good advertising gimmicks (which I think the Renegade oil milkshake claim is one lol), or bc I have for years with no issue etc.  I am looking for technical aspects of why the oil that someone uses is better than other oils.  In other words why to you trust it?  Has anyone actually tested the oils somehow?  Any data collection etc?
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 21st 2017, 6:34 pm

away wrote:
cool40 wrote:Schaeffers 20/50 Very Happy if you have alky in your oil it's not the oil.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/191-micron-moly.html

I knew someone was going to say that no problems here what so ever milking the oil- I run Ron's injection with gas primer plus I am only on Alky from the burnout box to the stripe.

The above oil and part number is what I had my eye on.  It has a decent technical explanation.

I am looking as to why someone would run a particular oil not just bc someone said to run it or good advertising gimmicks (which I think the Renegade oil milkshake claim is one lol), or bc I have for years with no issue etc.  I am looking for technical aspects of why the oil that someone uses is better than other oils.  In other words why to you trust it?  Has anyone actually tested the oils somehow?  Any data collection etc?
it's as good as vr1 IMO and has worked good in my car and a friends pulling truck that'll see 8500-9500 rpm for long runs. A very well known engine builder told a guy to run whatever he wanted becouse he would change it more often than needed anyway! Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  away February 22nd 2017, 11:13 am

cool40 wrote:
away wrote:

it's as good as vr1 IMO and has worked good in my car and a friends pulling truck that'll see 8500-9500 rpm for long runs. A very well known engine builder told a guy to run whatever he wanted becouse he would change it more often than needed anyway! Laughing

Yeah I seen that cool40! What does that mean on the change frequency for bracket racing? How often would the oil change frequency need to be with this oil and running injected Alky?
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 22nd 2017, 12:21 pm

Lee ... does not your car run injected alky anymore ...?  At last years "bash" it had injected alky, did it not ...?
Or, was it carbed ...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  away February 22nd 2017, 12:28 pm

I just made contact with a Schaeffer oil rep!  5 cases of 191 Micron Moly 20W-50 on the way at discount pricing less than 5 dollars a quart!  Cool cheers
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett February 22nd 2017, 1:28 pm

I ran Brad Penn last year on gas and it came out clean every time. Plan to use the same 10w30 Brad Penn now that the motor will be set up with a Ron's Terminator. Twisted Evil
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 22nd 2017, 4:43 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Lee ... does not your car run injected alky anymore ...?  At last years "bash" it had injected alky, did it not ...?
Or, was it carbed ...?
yes it's injected and has been for years.i ran a toilet before the hat on my other engine. When the tune up is good AND you heat it up to 190* at the end of the night before loading up you won't have issues. I always remember what Randy Moore said about running alky, you don't just crank it up every afternoon to hear it run! It's important for your oils sake to get that temp up to keep moisture out.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 22nd 2017, 4:45 pm

away wrote:I just made contact with a Schaeffer oil rep!  5 cases of 191 Micron Moly 20W-50 on the way at discount pricing less than 5 dollars a quart!  Cool cheers
I order over $400 worth to get free shipping. Cool how often you change it will have many factors so just look at the oil,it'll let you know.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 22nd 2017, 5:18 pm

Green oil high rollers...J Y Kelly for the win Very Happy

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down