BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P51 guys

+29
bigblok2000ranger
maverick532
4thHorseman
the Coug
fordmanmatt
5pointslow
LivermoreDave
supervel45
nitrous.f
rmcomprandy
jbozzelle
Dave C.
dfree383
IDT-572
69F100
DFI429
KY JELLY
fordguy69
61coon
schmitty
yellowhorse7
466cj
QtrWarrior
Gary Blair
whitefield
Larry T
cool40
richter69
Lem Evans
33 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

P51 guys - Page 4 Empty Re: P51 guys

Post  Gary Blair January 21st 2014, 11:15 am

IDT-572 wrote:It just gets to a point to where you can only get so much air through a low port entrance head. Hard to keep the air on the short turn when it enters below it and exits below it. Air is making a big turn for a long distance.

I've seen a similar combination to yours Blake that was having a tough time negotiating some slick tracks and hot weather.

He pulls out an old 514 short block and switched the heads and intake. Made the car much more consistent and tunable. Ran almost the same ET. It had a single fogger. Slowed the air and fuel speed. Runs good N/A or more atmosphere.

It was a well built engine much like yours.

A low entry and an 8° valve angle poses a challenge that's for sure. Probably over .6 Mach on a 580 CI engine.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 21st 2014, 11:26 am

That sounds like a chassis problem to me Gary not a power problem ?
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 21st 2014, 11:55 am

you know I have been reading this pissin match from the certain few , and they are running Tunnel Rammed A headed twin dominators, all done by a GOD what kind of HP are they building, cuz from what I have seen they are not running any where close to what Blake a Fabio are? with their Junk heads and single carb deals. Rolling Eyes  Just Sayin
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 21st 2014, 12:14 pm

Out here in nose bleed land I run a black '69 mach 1 552ci small tire car, full weight with box stock P-51's and a c6. A pal runs another green '69 mach 1 557ci steam roller car, lightened, with worked over SCJ's and a glide. Both ported victors, solid rollers in the mid .700's, single dominators, same diameter headers... very similar engine combos. Motor vs. motor I tend to et 1/10th and a mph quicker. I even short time just as hard on my small tires. We've only gone head to head once although we are always at the drags on the same days. I ran motor and he ran a delayed nos hit. I drug his a$$ all the way down the strip. In the last 200' he finally got past me by 1 car length with his nos hit. He was all butt hurt when he discovered I hadn't sprayed. FWIW.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair January 21st 2014, 12:32 pm

KY JELLY wrote:That sounds like a chassis problem to me Gary not a power problem ?

It can be, I wouldn't disagree Randy.

You can upgrade the chassis or run it in your car and get a baseline.

I'm of the mind that you could keep the Fox and put a smaller engine with a softer torque curve to settle the car down and be able to run it in hot weather and slick tracks.

I think you can make 950 HP with the heads Blake has and probably more on a 514. You might have the best of both worlds then. More efficient too.

The fogger is a bit more tunable than the plate.

Just some thoughts.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 21st 2014, 12:41 pm

Not getting into the head debate. This remark is only about big tires. They suck up more Hourse Power to turn. How much I do not know? Thats all carry on.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 21st 2014, 12:49 pm

supervel45 wrote:Not getting into the head debate. This remark is only about big tires. They suck up more Hourse Power to turn.  How much I do not know? Thats all carry on.

Yes they rob some HP but where I run I would rather stick it to the track then waste a set of itsy bitsy tires. been there done that... I would rather be consistent.
I know some guys that go tru several sets of tires a season, I have to buy my own parts nobody buys anything for me....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 21st 2014, 12:55 pm

That's a given.  And with a properly set up suspension you ought to be able to hook in a car wash with them. A bit more difficult with my 10" rim and leaf's.  I don't know how much weight is saved cutting out the rear factory steel and replacing it with aluminum tubs and some aluminum panels.  Or the weight diff between a C6 and a glide - or which is more advantageous given our combo's.  

Simply commenting on some real world experiences I've seen.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 21st 2014, 1:31 pm

Horseman did you ever switch that stang to the Shelby front height? man if you would it would make you wonder why you waited so long to do so... and for Sticking a leaf spring car I built my own ladders way back and it worked...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 21st 2014, 1:37 pm

4thHorseman mentioned 1/10 second differance motor to motor between the steamroller tire and the small tire, is all. That's why I mentioned it. I used to run IFS rear and it sucked alot of HP up, compared to a strait axle, so the big tire deal stuck in my head as to a possiable difference between the cars. I could lanch on alot bigger shot of N20 than some of the strait axle cars, and the major limiting factor was parts breakage. Not knocking big tires at all, just saying.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 21st 2014, 1:56 pm

the Coug wrote:Horseman did you ever switch that stang to the Shelby front height? man if you would it would make you wonder why you waited so long to do so... and for Sticking a leaf spring car I built my own ladders way back and it worked...

I did not do the shelby change yet. I swapped out the stock hood for a fiberglass one (my only weight savings in this fat pig) and cut the front springs because it was then sitting like a gasser. Now the stance is perfect. And I'm afraid to mess with it.

I'm running split leaf mono's and caltracs. It's working to the tune of low 1.4 short times thus far at 7000 DA. Haven't been able to sink it lower. Even hitting the hose right off the tbrake it still shorts the same. Just more agressive and wheels up a bit higher. Maybe it's hazing them after touchdown. idk.

I just bolted a pair of out-of-the-box SCJ's on a 525ci/C6 in a fiberglass '32 3 window altered with a roots that's only stuffing 4psi through it. With 2200lbs and a "4 bar" it ought to be a real tire fryer. Hook = nonexistent. But it should be fun on the street.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 21st 2014, 2:02 pm

You might try watching the suspension in a slow motion video.. Without it you're guessing about what the car's doing on the launch...

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 21st 2014, 2:05 pm

The reason I wanted you to do the Shelby drop is because it fixes your front tire Cant and sits lower and no need to cut springs, and on a drag only car I set my front end 1 inch lifted on front end alignment and drives like a slot car.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 21st 2014, 10:20 pm

What a Bad ASS Car you have there I am looking for one to build and take to the drags races if you see one let me know!!!!
4thHorseman wrote:Out here in nose bleed land I run a black '69 mach 1 552ci small tire car, full weight with box stock P-51's and a c6.  A pal runs another green '69 mach 1 557ci steam roller car, lightened,  with worked over SCJ's and a glide. Both ported victors, solid rollers in the mid .700's, single dominators, same diameter headers... very similar engine combos.  Motor vs. motor I tend to et 1/10th and a mph quicker. I even short time just as hard on my small tires.  We've only gone head to head once although we are always at the drags on the same days.  I ran motor and he ran a delayed nos hit.  I drug his a$$ all the way down the strip.  In the last 200' he finally got past me by 1 car length with his nos hit.  He was all butt hurt when he discovered I hadn't sprayed. FWIW.  
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 21st 2014, 10:25 pm

What do you run hot shot????

KY JELLY wrote:
fordmanmatt wrote:Me too

cyclops 
5pointslow wrote:if anyone has any P51 heads that they dont like for whatever reason i can Pm you my adress and will gladley under achieve with them ..lol

Razz 

Are you jokers saying p51 s run better than they should ? Naw couldnt be we dont have any examples of them doing it without nos or 10" tires lol.
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 21st 2014, 10:31 pm

fordmanmatt wrote:What do you run hot shot????

KY JELLY wrote:
fordmanmatt wrote:Me too

cyclops 
5pointslow wrote:if anyone has any P51 heads that they dont like for whatever reason i can Pm you my adress and will gladley under achieve with them ..lol

Razz 

Are you jokers saying p51 s run better than they should ? Naw couldnt be we dont have any examples of them doing it without nos or 10" tires lol.

I'm not Hot Shot.............. But his car runs 5.00's on the engine, 562 inch P-51's basically sister heads to mine.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 21st 2014, 11:22 pm

KY is a damn hot shot bet your ass on that......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 22nd 2014, 1:33 am

richter69 wrote:KY is a damn hot shot bet your ass on that......
 Cool  baller  Cool 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY January 22nd 2014, 7:26 am

fordmanmatt wrote:What do you run hot shot????

I was just being sarcastic no pun intended i am a big fan of the p51's
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 22nd 2014, 10:04 am

I think they're a good, out of the box, run it as is type of head. They've got much more port volume than the SCJ and if your engine needs that much it'll respond well.

BTW, mine went 5.50 in the 1/8th on the roof...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 January 22nd 2014, 2:09 pm

with any luck I'll be ready to test mine very soon . I'm positive I won't be disappointed . May get to fire up for the first time this weekend before car goes back to chassis shop . Can't hardly wait to get back to track with it I'm pretty sure I'll be the only P-51 headed Ford there .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger January 22nd 2014, 10:25 pm

the Coug wrote:you know I have been reading this pissin match from the certain few , and they are running Tunnel Rammed A headed twin dominators, all done by a GOD what kind of HP are they building, cuz from what I have seen they are not running any where close to what Blake a Fabio are? with their Junk heads and single carb deals. Rolling Eyes  Just Sayin

I think it's pretty safe you are referring to me with this post so I will answer it. I missed on the setup big time with the truck, but the MPH at the RPM it went through the traps at was within 2hp on by Wallace Racing based on MPH for weight (Oh yeah and my throttle pedal was bending so I was only getting half throttle on the best MPH pass before my converter went and Blake and Red can attest to the throttle issue). Now let me explain this; it was geared wrong and short shifted, we found the powerband to be a bit higher than we thought and significant power gain from where it was geared and shifted at before. The converter also flashed very low in RPM compared to what it needs.

My 60' sucked because my truck would come out of the hole with a decent wheelie then when the front suspension topped out it would spin the tires for about ten feet then dead hook.

The fuel pump I was using was also not supplying my engine with adequate fuel and it was starving for fuel on top-end.

I have a great suspension now, new tires, I have a big ass fuel pump, and the converter is being worked on, so it WILL run much better this coming year!

The engine makes enough power to do exactly what it needs to do to be very competitive in the class I will be running. I won't tell you exactly what it made but if you want to know once I get the suspension sorted out grab a lane and find out first hand.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 22nd 2014, 10:38 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:
the Coug wrote:you know I have been reading this pissin match from the certain few , and they are running Tunnel Rammed A headed twin dominators, all done by a GOD what kind of HP are they building, cuz from what I have seen they are not running any where close to what Blake a Fabio are? with their Junk heads and single carb deals. Rolling Eyes  Just Sayin

I think it's pretty safe you are referring to me with this post so I will answer it. I missed on the setup big time with the truck, but the MPH at the RPM it went through the traps at was within 2hp on by Wallace Racing based on MPH for weight (Oh yeah and my throttle pedal was bending so I was only getting half throttle on the best MPH pass before my converter went and Blake and Red can attest to the throttle issue). Now let me explain this; it was geared wrong and short shifted, we found the powerband to be a bit higher than we thought and significant power gain from where it was geared and shifted at before. The converter also flashed very low in RPM compared to what it needs.

My 60' sucked because my truck would come out of the hole with a decent wheelie then when the front suspension topped out it would spin the tires for about ten feet then dead hook.

The fuel pump I was using was also not supplying my engine with adequate fuel and it was starving for fuel on top-end.

I have a great suspension now, new tires, I have a big ass fuel pump, and the converter is being worked on, so it WILL run much better this coming year!

The engine makes enough power to do exactly what it needs to do to be very competitive in the class I will be running. I won't tell you exactly what it made but if you want to know once I get the suspension sorted out grab a lane and find out first hand.

Right there is why some on here get their dander up. Some ask for hp numbers and all the info they can get, but wont give any out.

Why can't you give out your hp numbers..............?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger January 22nd 2014, 10:47 pm

I plan on doing some grudge racing.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down